Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Heat development when running 400 hp 951's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004 | 06:13 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heat development when running 400 hp 951's?

Hi,

I've been thinking of moddin gmy car a bit and have gotten in contact with a guy who I believe is capable of doing the needed changes to beef up the power with a bigger turbo, different intake and air flow sensor (a system most 951 owners probably hasn't thought of), wide band lambda and piggybacks for KLR and DME.

I had a ride with the guy who has developed these mods and driving his 370 rwhp 951 was quite nice. The thing I am worried about is the temepratures when tracking, I guess a more efficient oil cooler would be necessary and changing the thermostat to have the engine running at 75 degrees celsius instead of the normal 90 or so degrees (don't drive the car in cold weather so I don't really need the extra heat).

Now to get to the actual question (in bold): I have no doubt that a car that is being street driven can take the extra heat pretty well since it doesn't run as hard, with the Cup car I have gotten into a pretty high pace when I'm tracking so there really aren't any time to cool off like when the average driver in a 951 with stock suspension drives it in a more "short-burst" kind of way while struggling to keep the proper line.

How does a 951 running with close to 400 rwhp handle the heat when doing 1 hour stints on a race track going close or at 10/10's and what else can be done to keep the exhaust temp below 800 degrees Celsius (in order not to melt the headers and exhaust)?

I know that a few guys here on the list run with this level of power and track your cars regularly, what has failed and what is your theory behind it?
Old 09-25-2004 | 09:45 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
How does a 951 running with close to 400 rwhp handle the heat when doing 1 hour stints on a race track going close or at 10/10's and what else can be done to keep the exhaust temp below 800 degrees Celsius (in order not to melt the headers and exhaust)?
There's more than enough airflow to keep temps down (at my track anyways). We have a 1/2 mile straight and a 1/4 mile back straight. I've never done 1hr stints though, just 30-40 minute 9/10ths stints.

As for keeping EGT's low, don't go too much retard on timing. I keep my timing at 18 degrees or higher, that keeps the EGT's well within safe limits.

Quick Reply: Heat development when running 400 hp 951's?