Guess its time to shop for a new turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 03:42 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Guess its time to shop for a new turbocharger

During the process of replacing a coolant hose that got sliced open by a hoseclamp and scared the **** outta me due to the large puddle of coolant under my car, I decide to remove the J-Boot. Well.... Curiosity killed the cat

Always been careful not to let anything into the jboot, covering it up and such, and ive never heard any funky noises or anything, except for once when my coolant cap blew itself apart... But I cant see that doing it lol.

So... In the spirit of upgrading... Any good places (read: CHEAP!) to get a cheater turbo, asides from ebay? Im aiming for something that is drop in, I cant really afford/justify buying new chips, injectors, MAF, so on so forth (snowball effect) to support a bigger turbo, which will only snowball into MORE issues without a doubt

Damnit... I should have left the damn J-Boot on, but noooooo

Edit: And why the hell is every OTHER vane buggered up?
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks familiar! Every other vane because not all vanes stick out equally, every other sticks out further.

That's the dirtiest turbo I've ever seen, including compared to one I've got off an engine oil fire car.

If you don't want at least new chips, then you're stuck with another stock K26 turbo - anything else will mess up your current tune.

Sam
Old 09-19-2004, 03:49 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Looks familiar! Every other vane because not all vanes stick out equally, every other sticks out further.

That's the dirtiest turbo I've ever seen, including compared to one I've got off an engine oil fire car.

If you don't want at least new chips, then you're stuck with another stock K26 turbo - anything else will mess up your current tune.

Sam
I thought the K26/6 ones rebuilt as ball bearing turbos were the "cheater turbos"? Arent those an easy drop in without chips?

And suggestions for a turbo that isnt going to immediatly require new injectors, MAF, etc etc? Even if the turbo isnt at its peak without those things... I guess I could justify new chips... But itll be a while before I can do the whole schibang...

And my car is just shy of 208k miles, that prolly explains the filth
Old 09-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Too bad!

But my god what has happened to the outside of that turbo!? Does the whole engine look like that?
Old 09-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Even a ball bearing cheater would throw off your A/F in that 300rpm range where the cheater has spooled where the original wouldn't. Plus, having a cheater built or bought is simply not worth the money unless you have class restrictions that you need to cheat within. There are plenty of better turbos for the same money. At this point, I'd either just keep driving it (my car had the same for lord knows how long, didn't find it until recently) or just replace it with a good used K26 off someone here or eBay. Then you can save for something more significant.

Sam
Old 09-19-2004, 03:57 PM
turbo8
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get it rebuilt???
Old 09-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ouch. I feel your pain man - seriously. I literally got my car back together from turbocharger replacement yesterday. Have fun.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:39 PM
ian kam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stock K26 worked well on my car 70 usd and its all yours.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:37 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ian kam
I have a stock K26 worked well on my car 70 usd and its all yours.
Ill get back to you about that, I might just wait and upgrade it anyway... Start the snowball rolling

Quick Reply: Guess its time to shop for a new turbocharger