Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Modified turbo coolant fitting - Failed

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 07:02 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Modified turbo coolant fitting - Failed

My last session at the track was cut short when my 951 developed a coolant leak from the turbo area. Surprisingly it turned out to be a failure of the brass fitting that I used in order to relocate the turbo metal coolant pipe to clear the larger turbo compressor. Basically the fitting cracked and by the time I had the car back in the garage and the manifold off, all it took was a tiny bit of pressure and the fitting broke off completely in the area of the thread tape in the pic below.

I have since had a steel replacement made with the correct threads, but thought a few people might be interested to know about the failure. I was surprised by it because there really isn't a lot of mechanical load on the coolant pipe (its attached to two rubber coolant hoses). At a guess, the high turbo temp at the track and the soft brass may not have been a good combination.

Old 09-19-2004, 07:05 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea, I suspect getting steel tube and heating / bending it to clear would be the best solution. What kind of turbo are you running anyway?
Old 09-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not surprised, that fitting material gets brittle with vibration very quickly - it's not just track cars, street cars will suffer the same issue. Add the fact that the NPT thread leaves many threads unsupported allowing for stress to concentrate, and failure is bound to happen.

Sam
Old 09-19-2004, 02:36 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I put the K27 in mine my brother made me up a nice extension out of stainless to mount the metal pipe. I ignored the fact that the metal pipe originally fitted to the turbo figuring it would be strong enough.
It broke below the cooling pump temp sensor (just above your brass section in the pic). I made sure the replacement has the bracket attached to the turbo housing (required some modification).
Tony

Quick Reply: Modified turbo coolant fitting - Failed