Car Stereo Gurus -->Click Here<--

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 01:18 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Stereo Gurus -->Click Here<--

Hey,

I have an Aiwa CDC-Z127 headunit, an MTX thunder 4122 AMP, and a Polk Audio GNX104 10" Sub. My car has 4 tweeters and two 5 1/2" speakers.

Here are the specs for the amp: http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Mtx_Thunder_4122

Here are the specs for the headunit:
http://ecoustics.audioreview.com/psc...0_2861crx.aspx

Here are the specs for the woofer:
http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Polk_Audio_GNX104

So, now that you know the specs of each of the units, I want to know how to install the sub and amp. The headunit has been installed for over a year.
The headunit has a single RCA preout, and the amp has an RCA input and output.

Do I need to use these RCA ports to get the amp and sub to work right?
If so, how do I install them?

Also, what wire gauge rating do you guys reccommend for running to the battery, and grounding to the chassis? I'm hearing 8 gauge stinger wire is the way to go.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2004, 10:49 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youre not going to like this, but your amp can't push your sub. 30 watts power with a handling of 175 rms means that thing isnt even going to move, subs need to be pushed to close to their limit before they sound good.

for the setup, though, use the RCA's. way better sound quality than line level. just run an RCA cable (make sure its not near speaker wires) to the amp's RCA inputs. make sure to use the crossover, and set it somewhere near 60 hz. also, it appears that youre not very familiar with car audio, so don't free-air the sub. put it in a sealed box. i dunno what size box that sub takes, but id guess a .50-.75 cu. ft. box would work fine for it.

i would not install that amp if i were you. itll sound terrible because 30 watts to that sub will not produce hardly any sound at all. you may want to look into new equipment, including your high-end stuff, having four tweeters is severe overkill, especially since you have no bass, and the equipment you want to intall wont give you any either. oh, and that head unit has a S/N ratio of 68 dB, most should have 90 or more. hooked up to a sub that's properly driven with an amp thats powerful enough, that's a low enough S/N ratio to blow it up due to clipping
Old 09-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

I found it interesting when i was installing my system, getting the wires to the rear of the car was a interesting experiance because u have to run the wires (atleast i did) along the door sill and the carpet is in there vey tightly and i couldnt get the screws out... so i got to pull out the carpet! woooo

ne who, your remote wire will be blue most likly so now look for the REMOTE wire (probley blue) coming out of the Head Unit and connect/splice together. Run that along with the power, and rca's along the door sill under the carpet.
For a ground since i could not find one i sanded down a small part of the floor under the rear matt and drilled a hole carfully and put a screw with a washer over the wire and screwed it down tightly...

When you connect the positive make sure you have it disconected from the batery or your fuse will most likely blow.

Dime is correct your amp might not move your sub very much...Kenwood, alpine, rockford fosgat, and audiobahn make very nice amps... DO NOT GET A 400 WATT AMP... get a 200 or 250 watt amplifer IF YOU GET A 400 WATT AMP YOUR SUB IS LIKLY TO BLOW!...

You can try your amp now and see if it works good or not...

also i just saw your rca question,and RCA's go into "input" on your amp

Have fun feal free to ask me any questions i have installed many many systems latly including mine

Peace,
Ian
Old 09-19-2004, 03:51 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

youll probably blow your sub with 100 watts. the head unit's output is too dirty (the 68 dB thing). i simply wouldn't do it.

im running an avionixx 400.1 amplifier tied to an elemental designs 12.o.4, a pioneer deh-p7300 hu, and have crystal components for full-range. i ran 4 gauge power wire from the battery through the hole in the firewall at the battery box along the right side of the car underneath the carpet. the RCA's were wired from the head unit down the left side of the car underneath the carpet. the remote wire was also ran next to the power wire. the amp sits at the back left of the rear hatch floor, attached to the carpet and pad, then the sub sits in a fiberglass box in the spare tire well i fabbed up at home, so you never even see the sub. the amp is grounded right under the carpet to the frame. make sure your ground is no longer than 18".

seriously, though, ask someone who knows a lot about audio to help you select a system. you will be incredibly disappointed at the poor performance of your sub. turbox offered his help, and i as well would be more than happy to help you out, feel free to PM me.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:56 PM
boxdoc2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboX
Have fun feal free to ask me any questions i have installed many many systems latly including mine

Peace,
Ian
Ian,
I'm sorry to butt in on this post, but I'm installing an amp tonight. However, I do not know where to run my power wire from the battery through the firewall. Any suggestions? This seems to be my only hang up.
Thanks!
Mike
Old 09-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

heres a picture... its right next to the fuse box take a close hanged and poke it through the rubber and you should see it above and behind the clutch pedal...

Picture1- the power cable is the thicker blue cabel that comes from behind the clutch pedal

picture2- where i put the wire through

picture3- how i ran the cable from the batery side to the fuse box side
Old 09-20-2004, 03:09 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

theres also a hole right at the back of the battery box that goes through the firewall.

Quick Reply: Car Stereo Gurus -->Click Here<--