Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Mystery harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mystery harness

I found a mysterious harness not connected to anything on my '86 951; it was kind of dangling down by the wastegate (behind the fuel lines). It is round, maybe 1/2" in diameter, about 2" long with sockets to plug into three probes on wherever the male end of it is (sorry no pic yet, I'll post one tonight if nobody knows what the heck I'm talking about). The wire coming off it is kind of a brown / tan color. Where does this go? Could this be the source of my "no boost" problems? I think the other end might go to the electrical diverter valve (I think that's what it's called) on the top / rear of the engine under the intake (round thing). Thanks.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:28 PM
M758
Race Director

I think that is an emissions test port. The harness should be accessble from the the top of the engine. My guess is that fell from there and went to the bottom. Not a big deal.

Could also be a plug to the O2 sensor.

Does it look like this?

Old 09-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

That sounds like the diagnostic hookup (this is what I assumed mine was). It would have been strapped to the factory harness, guess yours no longer is.. Mine had a cap on the end of it. The cycling valve harness is square, not round. The end of the one I am thinking about should look a AA battery. Like I said, I assumed this a diagnostic hookup. Maybe someone here could indicate exactly what it is for our edification.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Could this be the source of my "no boost" problems"

Is this with your new turbo???
Old 09-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

No, the intake gaskets came in yesterday so hopefully tonight will be "finish putting it back together and test it" night. I hope I get boost (hops up and down anxiously). Yes, that looks exactly like the mystery hookup. Good to know. I'll secure it during the work tonight.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That connector is for a TDC sensor that is only used for diagnostics. The sensor is located on the driver side of the engine block just forward and below the speed and reference sensors, and is "standard equipment" on all of the late models.

Quick Reply: Mystery harness