Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Adjusting Accuboost and Understanding Boost Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting Accuboost and Understanding Boost Control

I finally have my accuboost and aftermarket chips installed. I seem to be holding boost until around 12 psi on my aftermarket VDO gauge. I want to adjust the accuboost up (currently I have it locked at around 1.5 turns on the adjustment bolt).

How does one correctly understand the true amount of boost - is there a certain RPM in a high gear when I should check or should the gauge just be watched to see when it drops after being boosted?

I believe my chips are mapped to cut-out around 15 psi - I believe this is a safe boost level, but I wouldn't mind some reassurance. Eventually I will upgrade to a Guru wastegate, but right now it is a stock wastegate - Thanks for your responses -

Jeremy
Old 09-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

With an MBC you'll get peak boost in 3rd or 4th gear - floor it in 3rd and see what boost peaks at.

Sam
Old 09-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Thanks Sam - Will do. Any thoughts as to where a comfortable level of boost should be for K26/6, stock wastegate (no shims at this point), accuboost, and Vitesse chips? Thanks -

Jeremy
Old 09-16-2004, 05:36 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

You need to set boost to match your chips. If your chips are mapped for 15psi, then set peak boost to 15psi.

Sam
Old 09-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Thanks again Sam - my chips with my current set-up and FQS setting max at 15 psi. So if I am understanding you correctly, I should put the car into 3rd and then floor it to see what boost level is reached. If it is less than 15 psi then should I keep adjusting the accuboost until the gauge shows around 15? Or should the accuboost be set lower that where the chips are - so that I stop adjusting when I hit say 14? I assume that I am not supposed to be reading what boost I am capable of holding, but rather the highest amount of boost that is reached - is this correct? Thanks for all of your responses -

Jeremy
Old 09-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, adjust until PEAK is at 15psi, in third gear at least (4th may be a tad higher, but it's hard to have legal roads to floor 4th). With your wastegate it will roll off from there, likely leaving you rich, but that's safe.

Sam
Old 09-16-2004, 07:11 PM
951power

Use 3 rd gear, you can also use the brakes to hold the car at peak power.. but not to long though.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Accuboost and Understanding Boost Control