Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suspension and Wheel Questions

Hi Guys

It has been a really long time since I have posted here.

But I have a useful question and wanted some input.

I am going to finally finish the suspension wheels and tire set up that my father started on my car 5 years ago.

Currently I have Koni Yellows with different springs in front and the eccentrick sp? cranked all the way down in the rear. I do not know what the spring rate for my front springs are. Which leads me to my first questions.

How can I tell? Can I look somewhere on the spring?

How big of a torsion bar do I need?

And finally.

I am going to get new wheels. I know that Porsche does not recommend putting any larger then a 17" wheel on a 951. Is there any advantage going any larger then 17" I am looking at the Kenisis K57 17" and the K58 18" virtually the same wheel just different sive. How wide can I go without rubbing? And what if any other then stock offsets can be used? My car is an 86 so it has the old offset.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kool; 09-13-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Bump
Old 09-13-2004, 07:46 PM
pieball
Racer

Just getting through puttin' on my 2002 Carrera 18" lightweights on, '86 also. 18x8.5 amd 18x10. 2'' spacer in the rear is about max... as for the front, 1-1.5". These are with stock rubber 225/40/18 and 265/35/18. I don't know yet, but probably a significant loss in performance. I just wanted seeing them on. Also raised it up about an inch. If you get everything else in line(susp. mods), they shouldn't be that bad. I added 9-10lbs. per wheel in the rear which sucks, and about 7lbs. each in the front which really sucks! I think I'm gonna gut the car for track so the weight hasn't bothered me yet. Late model wheels, 996 required this spacing. as for actual offsets, you'll have to search. Just my experience of late. Custom made offset wheels would obviously solve the spacer issue. As for the susp., search here for "951 suspension article." It's here somewhere but I forgot.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

The Kenisis wheels are custom.

I was wondering whether I need to stick with the stock for 86 offset or can I change it to get a wider tire under the car.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:50 PM
pieball
Racer

You're a little too vague, be more specific. If you're going with custom wheels(which you can choose offsets), it depends on how wide a wheel you want to run. Theres lots of room back there. You can run an 11" wide wheel back there with about an inch of safe clearance w/proper offsets. 315's. It all depends on how much rubber you want. Hope I helped a bit.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

That was basically my question.

What kind of offset would I need for what a given width.

Is there a list of those somewhere.

Quick Reply: Suspension and Wheel Questions