Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help with an oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I went and checked out the car. I stuck my hand under the runnders and tried to feel around by where those pictures were and peered around with a flashlight. I and dreading thats it might possibly be the pan or the real seal(again). Now if for some reason it is the rear main seal, the shop has to fix it for free right? I just paid them 1850 to do a clutch job for me and they better stand by the work they did. I'll take it to them tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:32 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would pull the intake if your clutch has just been done, the rear main shouldnt be leaking. I would bet in that case that it is the rear balance shaft cover.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:46 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you supply the seal/parts? or did they get them?

If they got them, then they should replace it due to poor/bad labor.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:53 AM
boosted951
Racer

How hard is a rear main seal replacement... if doing yourself? Is it just like doing a clutch job? If I had a shop do it....how much would it cost?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:04 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl2bdc
I would pull the intake if your clutch has just been done, the rear main shouldnt be leaking. I would bet in that case that it is the rear balance shaft cover.
I would have to respectfully disagree.

I had a brand new factory rear main seal installed along with a new clutch (Spec Stg. II as well) and it started leaking almost immediately. It's not nearly as bad as Mike's, but it's noticeable.

Just jack the car up, safely support it, and look up at the flywheel from beneath the rear of the engine block. If you see a stream of oil coming from where the rear of the crank is, you know what your problem is.

I heard installing the new rear main seal at a different depth from the one it's replacing helps, along with using the RED factory seal. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:25 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sm
I would have to respectfully disagree.

I had a brand new factory rear main seal installed along with a new clutch (Spec Stg. II as well) and it started leaking almost immediately. It's not nearly as bad as Mike's, but it's noticeable.

Just jack the car up, safely support it, and look up at the flywheel from beneath the rear of the engine block. If you see a stream of oil coming from where the rear of the crank is, you know what your problem is.

I heard installing the new rear main seal at a different depth from the one it's replacing helps, along with using the RED factory seal. Good luck.
Thing is, the rear balance shaft cover will leak oil in the EXACT same spot as the rear main seal (see my earlier post), so you will not be able to tell which it is until you pull one of them apart. Trust me, start with the easy one, i pulled my clutch apart thinking rear main, then i realized where the majority of the oil was coming from. Rear main was leaking, but not bad, i could have lived with it.
As for the question on rear main seal replacement, it is one step further than a full clutch replacement, if you do one, you do the other. The seal comes out and goes back in with an additional 15 minutes of labor.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

What you should do first is clean the engine (upper and lower sides) with a degreaser such as Simple Green; may need a few spray bottles to get it all clean. Then drive it for a few days or so and inspect the engine again. This will pin point where the leaks are.

I have to replace my cam tower gasket again as the original one blew again after 6 months. My shop said to use the same sealer that 911's use to seal their cylinders. My oilpan gasket leaks slightly and will be replaced this winter as it is only a small leak.

Hope this helps,

Jaak Lepson
Old 09-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

About those black rear seals. I had a thread on this because of that same concern over quality of the seal. Some people said that since it was from Lindsay, they shouldnt sell junk and it should be all right. Also, the mechanic did say he thought it was the rear mail seal leaking. Its back at the shop now being looked at. They cleaned everything during the clutch job, so it should be traceable.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I used a black seal from lindsey and it does not leak.

Awww crap, i just cursed myself...doh
Old 09-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Fear not Karl, they found the leaks. It appears I have 4 small leaks in my oil lines. I need only replace the oil cooler gaskets, and the oil line gaskets to and from the turbo. At least I can do 3 of them easily, but that last one might require removal of those damned mounting bolts again.....
Old 09-14-2004, 12:14 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

At least it wasn;t the rear seal thank god for that

Quick Reply: Help with an oil leak