Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Street/Mild Track Suspension Setup???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 07:19 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hunter...
Great input.

My 944-spec is a little different, btu I do have a similar experience.

the spec car is a 131 rwhp NA and runs abotu 2450 lbs or 2600-2625 with me in the car. So it abit lighter than most 951, but I have taken a very sumilar approach to suspension and come-up a very nice balance.

I run 350lbs springs front and 30 mm t-bars in the back. I also run 28 mm front and 22 mm rear weltmeister sway bars. These are infinitly adjustable with sliders and nice to tune the balacne. I alos run 225/50 front and rear.

For a time had the following

stock sway bars front and rear for an 84 944 250 lbs fronts and stock t-bars.
Result was understeer pretty badly.

I then added in the welt meister bars. Again understeer, but will much less body roll.

I then went to 28 mm rear t-bars. This was pretty good, but I needed new shocks by this time. So then I also added in 350 front springs fresh koni's and camber plates. Again understeer. I could however dial alot of that out by cranking the rear sway bar pretty stiff. Only problem was inner rear wheel spin out of selected corners since I did not have a Limited slip.
So then the next plan was to go with 30 mm t-bars in the rear. Now the car is pretty darn good and only minor sway bar adjustments are needed to get the balance very nice. Might still be better with 300 lbs front springs, but since I am really zeroing in on good set-up it may also be worse so. I have kept it the same as any improvement will be very minor.
Bottom line is that getting the balance is critical to making a car fast and having a good suspension. As for ride quality I can't say it is very good, but given its light weight it will in effect be stiffer than similar springs on full weight 951. For me is fine is my race car is not street driven.

On an intersting note my 83 944 autocrosser is bone stock. Run stock springs fresh KYB shocks and the optional sway bars front and rear. It is really preaty darn soft, but given its unknown aligment settings, ride height and stock weight it extermely well balanced. In spite of the body roll the car is lots of fun to drive at an autocross and can balanced on knife edge in any corner thus yeilding pretty darn good speed. I could stiffen the front, but then I'd lose the balace the car has an probably just go slower and feel like I fighting the car vs working with it.

Quick Reply: 951 Street/Mild Track Suspension Setup???