Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TO4 Characteristics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 02:00 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have the to4b and I really don't see any power until 4k or so rpms. I personally would move to the to4e. The to4b is not that much bigger than the k26. But 400hp at 23psi might be correct but its going to take a hell alot of tuning, and custom chips.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:43 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why did this old thread come up? haha
Old 12-23-2004, 02:48 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
In my opinion the To4b turbo isint a real good investment compared to what's out there so unless you are getting it real cheep then I say go with a to4e or s or r. Those are all much better turbo's that make more hp and tackled with the right turbine can spool up the same or even better.

Also it's hard to beat the K27/6 for the money ....this turbo will make plenty of power.

For referrence a to4b with a 6trim might spool up slightly slower than a 26/6 but, prolly about the same as a 26/8. You can't give a clear answer on spool up because there are way too many factor's. So you can't generalize and say one turbo will forsure spool up this way always...it doesn't work that way. It depends on your fuel setup what kind of VE your motor is producing what type of cam you are using what type of ecu you are using....am I making myself clear now?? Tunned properly you can have a to4e which will make more power and flow more cfm than the b and have around the very same spool up characteristics.

In otherwords unless you are getting it dirt cheep ditch the b and go for the e.

Tony might have some maps on hand to help out.

BTW, when this thread started so long ago. I was refering to the same turbo...diff compressor with the same hotside, with all the same stuff on the engine. You can compare them. I was just curious but it doesnt matter anymore.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:49 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I struggle to understand what you are asking. The E will make more power with better effeciency. The can be made similar but, they are very different.

So I dont understand your comment on same turbo different turbine? Care to explain

BTW I didnt bring this old thread back...if you check the date on my post that was months ago.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:32 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I brought it up sorrry

Due to my rebuilt turbo I am getting back from Lindsey. As it turns out it is TO4B with 60-1 hi fi BUT with #6 hotside. And I didn't realize or find out until after the work was done that small hotside will not aid in quicker spool up but actually cause MORE back pressure and bring boost on even later.

So I am a little concerened that I just spent a lot of money to rebuild the turbo that will now give me worse performance then before.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:08 PM
J Chen
Drifting

It's not gonna give you really really bad performance.
It's just a matter whether your turbine/hot housing
combo can allow you to capitalise on the potential
of the 60-1 hifi. In theory it will not but real world,
install it & let us know the rwhp that you're making.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:27 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I will be putting on a MAF soon as well, hopefully that will help some.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:45 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

A car that I got a while back had some sort of a T04B and a number 6 hotside. He said he generated loads of power so dont be so worried. Im sure itll be fine. Look at the numbers the K27 makes even with the 6 hotside. Good luck.

Quick Reply: TO4 Characteristics?