Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Some Questions (I'm new to these cars)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 05:21 PM
89PorscheTurboMobile
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Questions (I'm new to these cars)

Hi,

First) I just installed some new Koni Yellow shocks on the back of my 951, each of the shocks have a black mark on the bottom of half of the shock, and I planted the shocks so the the black marks face the front of the car, is this okay?
Does orientation matter?

Second) I'm in the process of changing my oil with Mobil 1 15w50, where can I get the crush washer for the drain plug from? What's the specific size of that crush washer?

Third) What's the Best brand oil filter I should get from any Napa/Autozone/Kragen (Please specify which of the three)

Fourth) I am installing an aftermarket temp sender for my Autometer gauge, and I took out the goosneck where the bleeder screw is so I can drill a hole inside it. While I was removing it, the gasket managed to rip apart, I was wondering if I could use some Hi temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker in place of that gasket..

Fifth) What's the best coolant to use in a 50/50 mix with distilled water?
And, regarding Water Wetter, how much Water Wetter do I put into my system if I fill it with the 50/50 mix?

Sixth) What's the best kind of oil for me to use, it's very hot this time of year, I have a leaking oil pan gasket, and I want the best performance driving I can get. Is Mobil 1 10w40 thicker oil than 15w50? Because that 10w40 leaks a lot...

Thanks and take care.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:40 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

15w50 is heavier.

I use 1 bottle of water wetter.

I only buy filters from Paragon Products (MAHLE)
Old 09-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 89PorscheTurboMobile
Hi,

First) I just installed some new Koni Yellow shocks on the back of my 951, each of the shocks have a black mark on the bottom of half of the shock, and I planted the shocks so the the black marks face the front of the car, is this okay?
Does orientation matter?

Yup it's fine.

Second) I'm in the process of changing my oil with Mobil 1 15w50, where can I get the crush washer for the drain plug from? What's the specific size of that crush washer?

Take the washer to the local auto parts store and match it up. Should cost you a buck.
Third) What's the Best brand oil filter I should get from any Napa/Autozone/Kragen (Please specify which of the three)

Mahle (order online from Paragon).. Sometimes you can find a K&N which works as well.

Fourth) I am installing an aftermarket temp sender for my Autometer gauge, and I took out the goosneck where the bleeder screw is so I can drill a hole inside it. While I was removing it, the gasket managed to rip apart, I was wondering if I could use some Hi temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker in place of that gasket..

You could get away with for a short time but your future Porsche mechanic will kill you and call you names. Order one from WWW. Paragon-Products.com).

Fifth) What's the best coolant to use in a 50/50 mix with distilled water?
And, regarding Water Wetter, how much Water Wetter do I put into my system if I fill it with the 50/50 mix?

Be sure to use a phospahte and silicate free antifreeze. I believe GM DexCool is but I could be mistaken. If you're not going to see temps below freezing, go with a 15 to 20% antifreeze mix (for lubrication) and a bottle of wetter water.

Sixth) What's the best kind of oil for me to use, it's very hot this time of year, I have a leaking oil pan gasket, and I want the best performance driving I can get. Is Mobil 1 10w40 thicker oil than 15w50? Because that 10w40 leaks a lot...

Use the 15/50 but it will leak just as much. Deal with the leaks first. These cars can act like a strainer.

Thanks and take care.

Good luck
Old 09-03-2004, 05:48 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I will only recommend the OEM Mahle oil filters. The have a stop valve installed to prevent the oil from draining while the engine is off (you filter is installed upside-down). I heard some bad things about most aftermarket brands but never Mahle. It's worth the extra cost to be sure.

Fix the oil and I use Castrol GTX 20w50 all year round. Great stuff.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:00 PM
89PorscheTurboMobile
Instructor

Regarding the crush washer,

My drain plug doesn't seem to have a crush washer (first time I'm changing the oil), it just has a metal ring that goes around the hole in the oil pan, is this the right washer?
If not, anyone have a part number, size, etc I can use to find one?

Thanks

btw- how long will Paragon take to ship to Southern California?
Old 09-03-2004, 07:12 PM
89PorscheTurboMobile
Instructor

Well, I just called them and they said it takes 4 business days to ship, the oil is already out of the car, and I need the car by Wed. morning. I am currently/was using an STP oil filter, I paid $12 for it, which is kinda insane for an oil filter. Any other brands other than K&N?

Here's the ring I was talking about :http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...123.011.30.htm

Is that the "crush washer"
Old 09-03-2004, 07:21 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 89PorscheTurboMobile
Well, I just called them and they said it takes 4 business days to ship, the oil is already out of the car, and I need the car by Wed. morning. I am currently/was using an STP oil filter, I paid $12 for it, which is kinda insane for an oil filter. Any other brands other than K&N?

Here's the ring I was talking about :http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...123.011.30.htm

Is that the "crush washer"
Use any filter for now, but order Mahle filters and use them next oil change.

Yes that is the crush washer. Any auto parts store should have one. I always buy several at a time, there were a few times I changed oil and had no washer... You CAN reuse the old one once, just flip it over.

Last edited by theedge; 09-03-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:38 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

DO NOT buy cheap oil filters!! You can buy them from Paragon or Pelican for $9 I think.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:51 PM
JonM..
Instructor

You can buy OE Porsche filters (mahle) from some dealer for $5ea
Old 09-03-2004, 08:57 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JonM
You can buy OE Porsche filters (mahle) from some dealer for $5ea

Cheapest I"ve heard of. Great price.

Quick Reply: Some Questions (I'm new to these cars)