Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:31 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GURU Wastegate. Holds all the boost your turbo can produce. No fitting issues. $190.00
Old 09-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

I should have the Guru with the upgraded spring and remapped chips this weekend. The fitment issue is what made my decision.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Actually $190 plus $100 core charge which you get back if you send in your old WG.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Deltagate is crap compared to the stock 39mm wastegate; if you want aftermarket, go with a Tial or Profec or HKS wastegate.

"I take it you have a 26/6 then?
I have the 26/8 and can hold about 15psi at full chat. 18psi up to about 5-5.5k"

There's been a couple of people who've tried getting a flat 18psi boost-curve with both a K26/6 and K26/8 using both a GURU and Tial wastegate to no avail. Jason_86_951 tried, as did eclou, Jake951, Timm Baldauf actually blew his K26/8 turbo apart trying. Whereas others with a K26/6 can hold 18psi flat with the 1st generation GURU wastegate.

Aside from the wastegate, you have to make sure your turbo is up to spec and not worn-out. Measure the axial and radial run-out as well as the clearance with the outer housing. I'm trying out a modification to the stock turbo that reduces compressor-wheel clearance with the housing to see if we can't make it more efficient.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:35 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
It compresses the wastegate spring, effectively raising the spring rate so it requires more pressure (boost) to open.
I kind of knew this - thanks anyway - but my real question is - with current chip (superchip) setup will I see any increase in power just by shimming my WG. And if I do shim my WG will the chips overboost protection be affected - will it cut out at high boost - high rpm top gear?
Old 09-04-2004, 07:06 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simon: You would not notice 'more power'

You shall notice that the boost holds longer in the upper rpm range.......

If it drops, then it would drop more slowly than an unshimmed would do.

But shimming the wastegate is just a 'bandage', the spring is still the weak link here......
Old 09-04-2004, 07:07 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danno, I know you have been busy but when are you going to update your sight with the new products and prices? I need to figure out how much money I am going to spend over the next year so I have lots to do when I get back.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:22 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by david fracolli
Danno, I know you have been busy but when are you going to update your sight with the new products and prices? I need to figure out how much money I am going to spend over the next year so I have lots to do when I get back.
Same here
Old 09-04-2004, 07:23 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Simon: You would not notice 'more power'

You shall notice that the boost holds longer in the upper rpm range.......

If it drops, then it would drop more slowly than an unshimmed would do.

But shimming the wastegate is just a 'bandage', the spring is still the weak link here......
Ok what about overboost protection would it kick in or not as a consequence?

And if the boost holds longer that also = more power right = car accelerates quicker in the upper rpm range - yes?
Old 09-04-2004, 08:13 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SimonK
Ok what about overboost protection would it kick in or not as a consequence?

And if the boost holds longer that also = more power right = car accelerates quicker in the upper rpm range - yes?

Since your holding the same boost but not loosing (or slowly loosing it) at higher rpms, then yes, the car would be faster in higher revs.

Overboost protection is if you have the stock chips/set up.

It comes on at ~12psi, stock is at 11psi, so no overboost protection........

So, if you have a better wastegate (Tial, LR, Guru) and your turbo can hold 11psi to red line (ha, what a joke) then , (compared to a stock car) your car would be faster, since stock cars fall to ~9psi at redline, when you still hold 11psi at redline.

Again, that is IF your turbo (not K26/6 for sure) can hold to redline.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:00 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Overboost protection is if you have the stock chips/set up.

It comes on at ~12psi, stock is at 11psi, so no overboost protection........
No I have superchips - boosting at 15PSI.

So I guess overboost protection would become an issue if I shim?
Old 09-04-2004, 09:04 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

This is not first hand info so don't take it as set in stone.
At the international Porsche Weekend last week at Brandshatch I was talking to quite a few people who had fitted Tials. They all said great Wastegate but fed up of it coming lose and it was a bitch to fit in the first place. I have the Lindsey Dual Port which works really well and fits perfectly as it is a factory base unit. I would say that compared to a tial it does seem a bit pricy though as it is basically a rebuilt unit and the Tial is a completely new unit.
The reason I replaced mine was the piston kept on sticking and I had next to no boost. But if you got underneath the car and hit the unit with a blunt instrument you heard it you heard the spring release and you had boost once more!
Unless your wastegate is shot get the Guru chipset 3 bar regulator and the shims. Better bang for buck than just getting a wastegate and you will notice better performance immediately
Old 09-04-2004, 10:38 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SimonK
No I have superchips - boosting at 15PSI.

So I guess overboost protection would become an issue if I shim?
You should have a boost gauge and a MBC or EBC to control the boost in this state.

I THINK (i may be wronge) EBC's come with a boost limit option (you can limit the boost)

Stock WG will never hold 15psi (unless shimmed). You have 15psi chips, make sure you stay there (more boost you'd be running lean, less boost and you'd be running rich).

That is why some MBC's like Accuboost have spike protection, never giving you more boost than what you dial in. There is also a boost safety system, ie if it fails, it would automatically set itself back to stock.

So basically, the WG does NOT give you an overboosting issue, it's what's used to get the boost (a controller).
Old 09-04-2004, 10:40 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I don't see any fitment issues with a tial wg when i did mine it took me two hours once the old one was off. About them comming lose you have tighten, after a few heat cycles, and check once a year. Like anythink else on these cars you have to do preventive maintence. If you look at the tial wg it's a stainless steel unit brand new not rebuilt. I have been using it for two years now with no problems.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Folks ... I had my stock wastegate rebuilt by Blazsak Percision Motorsports, lower half and used the existing diaphram unit with 3 mm shims and I noticed a big difference with the boost. Click here

He has noticed that all stock wastegates have cracks in the "valve seats" which he repairs as well as other upgrades to the unit. His cost is about $250 CDN. Markus has customers who have managed to get close to 22 psi from the stock unit.

Jaak Lepson

Quick Reply: wastegate?