Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New brake pads feel slippery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 09:42 PM
omniphil
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New brake pads feel slippery?

Just got some of those metal master pads, I also flushed the whole brake system with ATE gold. bleed the brakes with one person holding down the pedal while i burped the bleeders. the pedal travel seems like it was before but the new pads feel slippery, the car stops like crap, just wondering if they will get better as they wear in? It feels like the pads are oiled up or something. I didnt change the rotors, they still looked real good.

Every other car I have done my own brakes on felt alot better with new pads right away and got better with a few hundred miles on them, but this is the first time I have used the metal master pads.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:20 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

You need to bed new pads in. Search the forums for suggested techniques.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:28 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it easy on new pad for ~200 miles or so............and i do mean EASY!
Old 08-30-2004, 09:42 AM
omniphil
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, i'll look into bedding the pads, But im just wondering if this feeling is normal, i mean they are real slippery. it stops very slowly. Like I said, I have changed pads in many domestic cars before, this feels way wrong to me...
Old 08-30-2004, 09:57 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

It's normal.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:45 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm... I dont know what type of pad the metal master is; but here is something I learned at work.
If your car's brake rotors have EVER been used with a carbon or ceramic pad, you must always use a carbon or ceramic (respectively) pad on that rotor. The reason for this is that these pads work by depositing and embedding a layer of their own material into the brake disc, allowing superior adhesion. The problem is, that afterwards, any other pad works like crap and wears out really fast.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:31 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

I have the same pads on my car and when new, went through what you're experiencing. You have to bed them to "de-gas" them and so on. Do a search for the proper method and in the meantime, allow yourself extra stopping distance
Old 08-30-2004, 11:59 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There may be more to this. Your description sounds like you basically have no brakes, which is dangerous. Lets assume you brake system is fundamentally OK, but your pads need to be bedded.

Find an open section of highway. Run the car up to 70-80MPH. Hold the throttle steady, and brake with your left foot until the the RPM drops 1000. Release the brake and let speed build back to 70-80. Repeat. After three or four cycles you will smell the pads. When you do, your done. Cruise for a while to let the brakes cool.

This will liberate the resins that remain from the manufacturing process and 'set' the pads.

If this fails to clear the problem, then be VERY careful. Check the entire brake system, or take it to a good indie Porsche shop pronto!

Quick Reply: New brake pads feel slippery?