Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Advice on oil pan gasket replacement? 944 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 06:01 PM
boosted951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on oil pan gasket replacement? 944 turbo

I need to perform the oil pan gasket replacement soon. Any advice or problems that I may run into? I just bought an engine support bar to hold up the eingine. Anything else I may encounter? Special tools? Problems etc...? I know it is a 12 hour job at least. Thanks in advance for any support or help. I already have the clarks garage page for help as well. http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/lube-06.htm thanks
Old 08-27-2004, 06:58 PM
jc22
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure the block and oil pan are completely dry when installing the new gasket (except for whatever adhesive you're using in the corners). Go to Sears and buy every version of the 13mm wrench that they carry. I found the stubby and the ratcheting closed end wrenches particularly useful when doing the motor mounts. If you aren't planning to already, replace the rod bearings and motor mounts while you're in there. Do a search here and you will find all sorts of tips, tricks, etc.

Good Luck.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:00 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MySwiss sells some adapters to help prevent leaks again.

Also, installing a baffle would be a good idea (i got a leaky gasket and waiting for my next oil change, and im going to install a baffle kit).
Old 08-27-2004, 07:03 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did my oil pan gasket twice. I highly recommend using contact cement to glue the new gasket to the block. The first time I did the gasket I cleaned the surfaces very well, but after about 500 miles the gasket start U-ing out between the bolts and leaking oil like there was no tomorrow. When I did it the second time I had a friend help me hold the gasket in place after applying contact cement to both the block and gasket and then used the bolts to help line it up and let it dry before attaching the pan. I also would recommend changing the rod bearings while your in there, not very expensive for new ones and your going in there any ways. And also new motor mounts made a world of difference on my car.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:42 PM
boosted951
Racer

Is therer any particular advice on the rod bearings? Any tolerance issues? or is it easy to replace the rod bearings?
Old 08-28-2004, 02:11 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

If you do the rod bearings make sure you buy new nuts for the connecting rods, also a cheap and smart idea. When I did mine I went all out and used that plastygauge stuff and measured them all, but as another fellow Porsche enthusiasts and I were talking he said he had also done his and just skipped measuring them because new ones have to be better then the old and if it is out of tolerance then the motor needs to be torn apart anyways so might as well just slap the new ones in there. Of course thats not the best attitude but when it comes down to it its right. Also when you do it put some of the engine lube stuff they sell for new bearings, I forget what they call it, engine assembly lube I think.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:34 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But don;t you have to measure the rods to get either the standard or over size bearings (0.25mm and 0.50mm)?
Old 08-28-2004, 10:28 AM
boosted951
Racer

Thanks for the advice guys.....I should be getting the engine support bar in the next couple of days....I am probably going to try to tackle it with a buddy of mine who is very capable and competent in the next couple of weeks or so....I don't really drive it much right now...so I am waiting for the temp to cool down...LOL
Old 08-28-2004, 09:35 PM
boosted951
Racer

ttt
Old 08-29-2004, 02:42 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
I did my oil pan gasket twice. I highly recommend using contact cement to glue the new gasket to the block. The first time I did the gasket I cleaned the surfaces very well, but after about 500 miles the gasket start U-ing out between the bolts and leaking oil like there was no tomorrow. When I did it the second time I had a friend help me hold the gasket in place after applying contact cement to both the block and gasket and then used the bolts to help line it up and let it dry before attaching the pan. I also would recommend changing the rod bearings while your in there, not very expensive for new ones and your going in there any ways. And also new motor mounts made a world of difference on my car.
What is contact cement?

thanks,
adrial
Old 08-29-2004, 03:15 PM
boosted951
Racer

Well...I've been doing some research on the oil pan gasket leak....I have seen some pics of the oil pan leak and mine is not that severe. Mine does drip oil, but not as much oil as some of the pictures I've seen. Next time I run it...I will jack it up and take some picks..... German Car Repair in Roswell said it was probably the oil pan gasket though..... Could it be anything else? Thanks
Old 08-29-2004, 04:27 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrial
What is contact cement?

thanks,
adrial
Contact cement is a type of glue they sell at most auto places or places like the home depot.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:28 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

You might want to also check your lower balance shaft cover, it could be leaking some and since its right above the pan gasket maybe it just looks like the pan gasket is leaking. But I would bet its your pan if it's never been changed before.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:02 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What you should use on the corners is just a small amount of a product called "The Right Stuff". Autozone usually carries it as it is a GM product, but it is by far the best stuff. It is uneffected by all automotive fluids besides gasoline. I use it instead of a gasket in many places in my engine.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:10 AM
boosted951
Racer

Thanks guys...I will run my car and jack it up to check it out personally...I will also take it to a couple of other places to get a second opinion....I will definitely use some sort of additional adhesive to seal it....

Quick Reply: Advice on oil pan gasket replacement? 944 turbo