Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Picking up an 86 951 in the next week, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 09:40 AM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Picking up an 86 951 in the next week, what to look for?

Was just wondering if there is a list of items I should be sure to check out before driving it home? Car is in Kentucky and I will be driving it back to Alabama with my brother-in-law following in my Subaru.
I know what to look for on my previous cars (BMW's) but not sure of any possible problem areas to look for on a 951, any help is appreciated.
Robert
Old 08-24-2004, 10:50 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Make sure the belts are recent. If a timing belt goes you'll have a $5K paperweight instead of an engine. Otherwise, just the standard stuff: hoses, fluids, air in the tires, etc. HTH.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:58 AM
Judson951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If thats the guards red one that was on ebay it looks really nice. located in south east kentucky. Good luck with everything. I hope you get a winner.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MIchelle hit it on the head, details of the car? Congrats on the car!
Old 08-24-2004, 12:22 PM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

Its in Florence Kentucky, near Ohio, and the owner who had his add on rennlist as well as ebay said the previous guy he bought the car from a few months ago had done the belt and pump recently but I will likely do it again since I have no hard proof and do a complete coolant flush.
He spent allot of money replacing/upgrading items trying to chase down a rich condition (black smoke/sooty plugs) and lumpy idle and it ended up being a vacuum leak, so its got all new blue Lindsey lines under the hood. APE II chips, LBE, Lindsey bypass valve, new Bosch injectors, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.
I discovered it has a salvage title from 97 in Oklahoma, so I'm assuming the flood of earlier that year, but the guy said it runs strong and tight and no hesitation in letting me take it on a 6 hour drive home. I can't complain for the price, lot of car for $5,500.
I'll likely drive it for about 6 months until we get another family car and then consider striping it down a little for track duty and driver's schools.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a bad price for flood, if that's what it was. Are you close to Birmingham, Barber Motorsports Park?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I agree with taking that car apart somewhat and investigating before taking it to the track or autocrossing. I have spent quite a bit of time and money over this past summer on my car, but now I am confident in what is in good working order and what to keep an eye on. I took the car to probably 5 or 6 DE events at Sebring before tearing it down. Definately adds to your piece of mind when you are tearing it up around a track.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:09 PM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

Yep, I live about 20 minutes from Barber's track, VERY nice facility and track. I was out there in my M3 sedan a few weeks ago for a BMWCCA driver's school, I didn't drive though, I was doing tech inspections and assisting where needed.
I was in Germantown a few weeks ago, I actually checked out a car in Memphis for sale by Charlie Andrews for $6,200 but it was allot rougher looking than he told me, even though it had a fresh motor with new shortblock.

Quick Reply: Picking up an 86 951 in the next week, what to look for?