Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2.5" v 3" Test Pipe Any torque losss?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 01:48 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Tony I have a 3" cat back. I am running a maf and was wondering if I should go 3" or the bursch route. My friend is telling me go 3" and 2.5 is throwing money away. I am thouroughly confused now by this forum. I was always under the impression with these cars 3" is always the way to go if you can get one made or afford one? Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to throw my money out if I go with the bursch, but I need a test pipe badly. I think with the mods I have I should go with 3" but please help me clarify this.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:40 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try to boil it down. Please correct me if I've misunderstood:

1. A testpipe will improve performance noticeably. A catback will not.
2. For applications under 340rwhp the 2.5" system will do. 3" is overkill but will not hurt performance.
3. Stainless will last for a long time, mild steel will not.

This is how I see it:

1. I want to get rid of the cat. Emissions would not be a problem in Norway. I need a new muffler and would like a bit more sound.
2. I would like to take the 27/6 route. I do not have plans for more than 320rwhp, but who knows
3. The stock system has lasted for 18years and is not SS (?). I do not plan to own the current car for more than 18years.

There is also the issue of availability. It's very easy to buy from Lindsey. I'm very happy with my purchases from them and would like to buy from them again. A few PCN'ers are doing a group purchase from Lindsey and there will be a nice discount (we hope) and a good deal on shipping.
My car is never exposed to winter driving, so I expect mild steel to last a good while.

I'm going to give this a bit of thought. In the mean time, can somebody point me to where I can get a 2.5" Bursch testpipe and a muffler? Preferably a vendor with a website.

Thanks for good advice Tommo and Tony!
Old 08-29-2004, 07:54 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well put Schnellfahrer, I have heard the bursch pipe is aluminised and as you aren't driving in winter it will last longer than you plan to have the car!!
Good Luck and let us all know what you chose and your personal experiences of how it changes your car once fitted. Thanks to Tony for the debate as well !!
Old 08-29-2004, 10:48 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correction Schnellfahrer, the stock system in indeed SS
Old 08-29-2004, 10:57 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J Chen
Correction Schnellfahrer, the stock system in indeed SS
Thanks. I didn't know that.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:47 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, with my CAT out of the way, i am technically using the factory 2.5" test pipe right?

Where as the cat-back (as schnellfahrer mentioned) would not increase power, but (again as schnellfahrer said) a mufller would be nice (for sound).

So basically, just replace the muffler (in my case) get a nice looking tip (not those ricey LED lite ones ) and im done with the exhaust system for aiming at ~34w0whp right?
Old 08-29-2004, 02:53 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

hosrom_951

"""So, with my CAT out of the way, i am technically using the factory 2.5" test pipe right?"""

You are using a test pipe, if you install an actual Test Pipe which runs from the down pipe to the catback flange.

This is different than cutting out the cat of a stock exhaust, welding in a piece of pipe, and calling it a test pipe.

Big difference.

TonyG
Old 08-29-2004, 02:56 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

I see your point Tony........

Im going to my local 'exhaust guy' in a few days, he customizes exhaust parts/systems........

After reading this, im going for a 'mild' muffler and a true 2.5" test pipe........

Quick Reply: 2.5" v 3" Test Pipe Any torque losss?