Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Windows XP tasks

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time it ran for 87 days without reboots and no errors before I had to shut down to upgrade the hardware.
My Linux firewall/file server/mail server/DNS Server (and more) last ran for 665 days before my TIG welder blasted one of the main fuses that also supplied the computer.... Have to install the UPS...

Tomas
Old 08-23-2004, 06:12 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tomas L
My Linux firewall/file server/mail server/DNS Server (and more) last ran for 665 days before my TIG welder blasted one of the main fuses that also supplied the computer.... Have to install the UPS...

Tomas

Well my server 2003 hasn't been down since I set it up more than a year ago.
I'm not going to argue with Linux systems, though. Set up right, it can be bulletproof.

I remember when we shut down our Netware 4.11 server when we migrated to Windows a few years back. It had been running for over 2 years, just like your Linux system. It was serving ~50 users with only 32MB of memory.
If only Novell could release a client OS they would be seriously back in business anyways. Why else would they buy RedHat?
Old 08-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My XP Pro IBM craptop bluescreens all the time. You can go into System administrator settings and turn off the "Automatically reboot" thing, so you can at least read the error the blue screen is saying. I'm not seeing anything blatant in your HijackThis log that I can say is causing it.

Sam

Last edited by Sam Lin; 08-24-2004 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:25 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
My XP Pro IMB craptop bluescreens all the time. You can go into System administrator settings and turn off the "Automatically reboot" thing, so you can at least read the error the blue screen is saying. I'm not seeing anything blatant in your HijackThis log that I can say is causing it.

Sam
My HP craptop does the blue screen thing also, its called a physical memory dump. I am on my third HP replacement under warranty in 3 years...
Old 08-23-2004, 10:40 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taz,

Just start closing stuff...
You really cant do any harm. If something you need for TEC3 doesn't work afterwards, just restart the computer and see if you can find out which process it was you shouldn't have closed.

I can tell you now, that you need these:
taskmgr.exe
explorer.exe
svchost.exe
Isass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
crss.exe
smss.exe
system
system idle process

The really important stuff, you cant close...it won't let you.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:03 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks guys! I am getting Windows all updated then I will check the Compaq site to see if they have anything new from the last time I checked. I will see what happens then.

Quick Reply: Windows XP tasks