Front License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Front License Plate Mount

Sorry, can't get search to work...

I need to reinstall my front license plate. I have a flat H shaped bracket that I pulled off the car a long time ago. Does it mount flat against the front (turbo) bumber with no stand-offs or anything? Seems like it woud scratch the paint. Can anyone tell me or take a picture of how the front plate bracket is fastened? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:46 PM
sayporsha
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 2 wedge-shaped rubber spacers to go between the bumper cover & bracket.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:16 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Sorry to ask a lame question, but what kind of screws does it use? Sheet metal screws into the plastic, or machine screws with nuts behind the plastic?
Old 08-22-2004, 01:41 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Tom
I took mine off, if you want to see it ... Will be in and out tomorrow ...
But here most of the time ...
regards
Ed
ps I believe they are brass sheet metal screws into the plastic bumper
In fact what does one do with the holes if you delete the front plate
Old 08-22-2004, 02:15 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Thanks Ed, I may try to stop by. Will look for your car. Put the Vitesse stuff in yet?
Old 08-22-2004, 03:10 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Haven't turned a screw yet
regards
Ed
Old 08-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ed, would you be interested in selling your frount mount? Unfortunetly I live in a state where it is required and I need one. Let me know. Thanks
Old 08-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Maciek
I am really supossed to have it on in this state as well
I just think the car looks so much better w/o it ...
So I really am not selling it ...
People tell me its rare to get a ticket in this state ... (fix it ticket ).
Only time will tell
regards
Ed
Old 08-22-2004, 03:36 PM
nize
Banned

front plates are required in washington state also, but there is a way around it that i've recently learned. the actual wording of the state law here says;

"Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times."

thus, if you mount your front plate on the passenger side sun visor and leave the sun visor down so it's visible from the front, it's legal. i have a local friend with a 951 that did get pulled over by police regarding the front plate he had mounted on his visor. he printed this law out and showed it to them and they let him go without a ticket or a warning so this has been proven to be accurate, at least in washington state.

you might want do a little research on your local laws. the washington law can be found here;
http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?...tion=46.16.240
Old 08-22-2004, 11:06 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used short stainless machine screws and washers from home depot. I tried to use actual license plate screws from an auto parts store, but never found anything that fit properly. Make sure to get short ones, as there is not a lot of clearance (at least on my car) between the top of the plate bracket and the bumper.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:25 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I ended up buying little rubber shims at a hardware store -- they are made to stuff under wobbly tables. They fit perfectly behind the bracket, complete with little holes for the screws. You would swear they are factory parts. Only $1.49 to boot.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:03 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nize
front plates are required in washington state also, but there is a way around it that i've recently learned. the actual wording of the state law here says;

"Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times."

thus, if you mount your front plate on the passenger side sun visor and leave the sun visor down so it's visible from the front, it's legal. i have a local friend with a 951 that did get pulled over by police regarding the front plate he had mounted on his visor. he printed this law out and showed it to them and they let him go without a ticket or a warning so this has been proven to be accurate, at least in washington state.

you might want do a little research on your local laws. the washington law can be found here;
http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?...tion=46.16.240
Interesting, but I'll just pay the ten bucks for the fix it ticket i get for no front plate. that way I dont have to ruin a more expensive then 10 dollars visor.
~Eyal
Old 08-23-2004, 02:36 AM
Tb311
Racer

Well I cant really do much about my front license plate because it didnt come with one when I got it.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:11 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Anyone done any research on whether not running a front plate gives you a little more reaction time for radar / laser ?

It seems like the fronts of our cars wouldn't give a very strong return - even the IC and radiator are nicely buried. I'm worried that putting on the front plate will act like a beacon !
Old 06-26-2005, 11:25 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=42611

What about this ? Looks very similar, but at a fraction of the price of the"944" brackets

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Mount