Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Weird engine trouble... Need help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 12:44 PM
GAry Javo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird engine trouble... Need help...

Yesterday I drove the car to work. It ran great. I fueled the car up to the brim. Then I drove the car to do a few errands. I got on it a little in third and it pulled smoothly. I put the car in neutral and coasted to about 20mph. The engine came back down to an idle. When I gave it gas again the engine would sputter and stumble almost like when you hit the rev limited only this was happening at around 2k rpm.

I gave it a little gas and the motor would slowly rev up to about 2k rpm and then it was like it shut off until it got down to 1k rpm. It would repeat this cycle over and over again. Luckily I had a little speed so I put it in 1st gear and cluched the engine up. Once it got to about 3k rpm it ran great.

After work I took the car to a good test road. As long as I don't get on the gas too hard the car runs great all day long. The first time I get on the boost and the engine falls below 2k rpm thats when the dreaded sputtering starts. So I checked all of my hoses, and connections, and vacuum lines I could get to and they all looked fine.

I tried it with 5psi and 15 psi and the engine responded the same to either boost setting. Also, the engine does not shut off when it is doing the sputtering thing. It idles just fine. It just will not rev above 2k rpm. If I push the accelerator to the floor it starts back firing a little. Also, if I get on the boost and keep the revs above about 3k rpm it runs just fine. I just can't get on the boost and let it go down to an idle or I will have to give it a minute or so to get past the sputtering stage. Surely this is a sensor problem or something easily diagnosed.

My mods are:
Huntley Racing MAF
HR Stage 3.5 Turbo
HR Hardpipe Kit
HR Monster BOV
Turbo Back Exhaust
Apexi Boost Controller

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:08 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Throttle positioning senor See Clark Garage http://www.clarks-garage.com/ good luck ed
Old 08-21-2004, 08:52 PM
GAry Javo
Track Day

Update: I just unplugged the tps and the car runs a little rich but much better. Then I plugged it back in and back to the same ole sputtering. I guess I will order a new one and hopefully that will be the end of it. Thanks so much!

Quick Reply: Weird engine trouble... Need help...