Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 01:27 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Rebuild

Hey im currently rebuilding my 86 944 turbo and ive been looking for some performance mods. I looked into a few things and am planning on buying a guru chip set with wastegate shims, and lightening the flywheel as well. I was told that the guru chip with shims should put me at around 260-265hp, is this about right, and also id really like to get the car to little over or at 300hp /300lb-ft. is this possible for around 1000$ (not including the flywheel cost)?
Old 08-19-2004, 01:34 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youll want to read this thread about 300 rear wheel HP on a budget. IIRC the "budget" was more like $2500, not $1000.

The summary is you cant get 300RWHP on the stock K26/6, a few haev gotten close, but not to 300, thus a turbo upgrade is required. This snowballs into including larger injectors, etc etc.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:21 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Also if anyone whos rebuilt a 944 could please put in some info. What should i do in the rebuild? What should i replace, repair, watchout for.. etc I really dont know, this is my first engine rebuild and its pretty daunting. Also i need to rewire basicly my whole car. does anyone know where to find wires and what ones are a good buy? Any input or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give us some background on the car, is it going to be a daily driver..+ track...track only; was it a salvage title or are you just restoring it?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:42 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Its a daily driver. Parents wont let me take a car to college first semester, and i refuse to drive my vechile during the winter... this ends up being about 8 months of downtime so i figured id rebuild my cars engine and add some performce mods to bring my car back to litteraly like new and with more power. The car has 153000 miles on it and runs fine, ive never had a mechanical problem with her... the only prblems keep on arising from electics, i can tell that wires and relays need replacing in the car.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:08 PM
ian kam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i just finished a rebuild i elected to do everyhting. Of course this is after you buy the new gasket set....new rollers..new belts machine costs..rings. all this alone isnt too cheap...already over one thousand dollars. While its out why not new clutch..waterpump....the list goes on. My advice if your going to do it address everything you can reach when its apart. That's where the wallet is often left wide open. So before ya tear it apart make sure your budget has alot room to change. Good luck and take your time ya have 8 months
Old 08-26-2004, 04:37 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Go for some basics:

Chips
Wastegate
Boost Controller

Those would run roughly $600

You can always get a set of custom 18psi chips (woah) instead of a set of 15psi chips and REALLY feel the car, espeically if you get a Tial/Guru wastegate to handle the extra boost.

This set up would put you ~300whp

Actually, on 18psi, i think that 300whp would be do-able (Don't start guys there were prvious discussions on this )
Old 08-26-2004, 10:30 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

where can i get those chips? and what kind of tourque figues would it put out then too.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:30 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

WATCH YOUR A/F MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure you get it on a dyno right after the chips are in, to make sure you don't run lean. I almost blew mine up that way. Take my advice.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:07 AM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

ian kam how much did you end up spending? for that matter how much has anyone who rebuilt their engine spent? I have a budget of around 2 grand it could go up some though with out too much of a problem. Also does anybody know what kind of tourque # my car would be pshing out with 18psi?
Old 08-28-2004, 07:00 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Ask Danno at Guru Racing, he has those chips, and he customises chips with SAFE a/f ratios..........
Old 08-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you rebuilding the engine? If it's running well and you've had no problems with it why bother? 150k miles on these engines is nothing. You seem to want to bite off a lot more than you can chew. Don't go looking for challenges. A basic rebuild on these engines will run at least $1000, and that's just replacing the normal parts (bearings, gaskets, rings, etc). Also these engines are not hondas or chevys. They tend to have much closer tolerances that those types of engines and are a LOT more expensive to fix if you get it wrong.

I'd just fis your electrical problems, get a chip and have fun. Change the oil on a regular basis and drive the thing. Save up money for when you need to do a clutch.

If you're worried about the rod bearings, don't be. This list seems to have a chicken little complex about the rod bearings. Change your oil regularly, keep it topped up, and don't keep the revs at redline (you're not making max power there anyway).

Save your money. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Dal.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:17 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Since i have 8 months+ of down time with the car i wanted to rebuild the engine to make it like new. I plan on keeping the car for the rest of my life so this needs to happen eventualy. The car smoked a little bit out of the engine at startup for about 5 mins till it warmed up... which i never really knew what it was.... either oil was leaking into the turbo and it was burning off, the headgastket was wearing out, or it might have been my power steering fluid since the pump has a leak i thought it might have dripped on to the engine and then burned off. i dont know, but i want the car to be in perfect shape. Depending on if i want to bring it to college or not, I may have 4 years to rebuild it, either way i have the time and money so i figured id rebuild the engine.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, if your bent on doing it, good luck. You would be better off buying things from a good supplier like Paragon Products or Zimms to get a little bit of discount.

Sampler of parts:
Rod bearings $49, Main bearings $125, lower seal kit $131, WFHG set $175, ARP or Raceware head studs $235 - factory studs -$88 with new nuts, rings $240 or less, water pump $265 with thermostat and gasket, belt(s) and roller kit $285, water hose kit $239, new expansion tank $126, vacuum hose kit $35, clutch kit $695, chips $200-350, wastegate $400, motor mounts $120, radiator $245(no sense doing it half A$$'d)... and that's if you have no scoring on the cylinder walls. If you do have scoring, then shipping and machining the block $550 for your block to San Antonio - Duffin and new pistons with 1st oversize $1125 - $1650.

Then you'll want a Lindsey, Vitesse, or SFR package - $3200 or more.

Welcome to the boost.

Quick Reply: Rebuild