Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 04:50 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redoing the turbo's interior...

Hey,

I'm redoing the interior in my 89 951.
I'm focusing on the vinyl that covers the surrounding walls, ceiling, etc.
Ok, while I was prepping the work area, I noticed that ALL of the black vinyl that surrounds the rear 1/4 windows are hard and dry. I'm assuming the sun did this, but I was wondering, what can I put on the vinyl to loosen it up, to get the natural feeling back..

The condition it's in now is horrible, like if I try to bend it, it'll rip.
So if you guys could recommend some products to use on the hard vinyl to soften it up I'd appreciate it.

Also, on the vinyl under the sunroof, there are some white marks, that do not come off with water, other than back to black, what can I use to clean the vinyl to it's original black look and feel.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:18 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am restoring my interior as well.

The expensive way: Rip it off and get a new one $$$$$

Cheap MOST effective way: You MAY not believe this, but get a leather cleaners with Vitamin E (I prefer Sonax Leather Care), it would turn the tuffest driest vinyl nice and soft again, along with a soft vinyl towel (the soft yellow kind).

I honestly used it on my dash (the bottom is vinyl) and turned it from stiff good looking dash, into this REALLY nice, soft high-quality stuff. (Just do NOT use it on the top black dash itself).

Also use it on the roof, it makes wonders (trust me on this, the sun here is 50x stronger than anywhere else).

Just make SURE that the surfaces are CLEAN (do NOT use a spong/water/soap combo, that would cause the vinyl to absorb the water, and then when it evaporates, it would shrink a little and becomes dry over time).

Use something like an interior CLEANER (not polisher) detergent (Again, i found Sonax Interior Cleaner to work best, even on carpets )

Let me know if you need any extra help in removing/adding/cleaning things, since i have done SO much to my interior so far.

Quick Reply: Redoing the turbo's interior...