Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Holy shiet! Just got the ride of my life**long read**

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 08:35 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do use the GE block but, he blew it up at 18psi. He then went with a full on GTE block and that's what now sit's in his car. I second the notion on how quiet it is. Holy cow. It was wipser horsepower....lol. I swear if the BOV was re-routed or something it would sound almost like a stock is. You can't hear anything below 3.5k at all. The ride was also very very nice. Amr talked about me driving it awhile back but, after ridiing in it there is no way I will drive that car on 25psi. I might however be okay with driving it at his pump gas setting of 17psi. I will let you guy's know how it go's tomorrow with the footage and the day time shot's.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:40 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal, John... looking forward to seeing it! I'll be sure to forward it to my IS buddy.

Does your friend not believe in buying vowels??

...I'd try it on 25psi
Old 08-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Hey man, go for the supra. I was looking for one in the past and regret not getting it when I could. These cars are great, but when you're making 6-700 at the wheels, it's an unbelieveable experience. I've spoken to people who have previously owned 951's and have moved to supras. THey all told me, it's a similar experience, but the supra does feel bigger. For everything that you can get with it, I'd go for it again if I had the chance.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:06 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah silver I hear ya. I was looking at a 94 twin turbo model with a 6speed when I bought my 951. I had been wanting a turbo 944 for so long having owned 2 N/A 944's perviously I just decided that having a turbo model was a itch I had to scratch. I love the 951 and I have made some serious hp for the mods I have done to it. When you ride in a car that has 713hp though it kinda almost makes any more mods on this car for street use a mood point. I think I will buy the new Lindsey super 75 turbo as planned along with finsishing up the head pull my 400 at the wheel's on higher boost and start taken nessesary step's to make it into a Track dedicated car that it once was before I bought it. Then I think the serch is on after that for a supra. There is no way I am getting rid of the 951 I love it too much but, the power/money of the supra can't be denied. The only 951's I know of making 700hp are race monster's....while you can do that on stock block with bolt on's on the MKIVsupra. It's just stupid how fast they can be. Let's face it I am a hot rodder at heart. I now don't see the value in spending 10-12 more grand in building a 3.0ltr going for 500hp on higher boost level's.....when I can have that kinda of power in a supra drive it daily and have zero issues as far as breakdown's. The 2jz-GTE motor is a engneering wonder when it comes to reliablity and capabilty. It's true they are pig's.....but, who cares when you have 800+rwhp on tap???
Old 08-14-2004, 01:44 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Depends what you want... a sports car... or a burnout machine
Old 08-14-2004, 01:50 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Kevin while I respect your opinion....a twin turbo twin intercooled 6pseed MKIV supra is a sport's car. I have pretty cool video of one at Mid ohio if you want to see it(BPU) he was hanging with c5's and porsche's in the turn's decently when leaving the turn's on straight's just left them behind. To each their own but, they pull great skidpad number's/1/4 times/traps/top speed is good/reliablity and driveablity is very good. I don't see where you get burnout machine from but, maybe you don't know alot about them.

for 1200.00 bucks you can have 400rwhp without sacrificing anything in the daily driver or lag department. As is with any car you give up something to get something else when you mod it. The 951 is no different. Don't worry I will never sell my 951 but, to try and say the supra isint a great sport's car is just ignorant. IMO
Old 08-14-2004, 02:04 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

A Toyota will never be a Porsche...

but the Supra has surely proven it's excellence.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:26 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

The stock suspension setup and setting on a MkIV isn't up to par with what I would consider "sports car" stature. You can talk about this and that, but when it comes down to it, they are heavy and large. They are very good for 1)lighting up their tires and 2)going in a straight line VERY fast (to a certain point... then they revert back to #1) I'm not saying they aren't good cars, but for what I consider a sports car, the later Supra's just didn't fit the bill. You can't really claim a car is a good handler by saying it has good skidpad numbers, John, sorry. I can put R-compounds on my truck and get numbers if you'd like, but does that make it a good handler? No, it means it gets good traction in a constant radius circle. You also can find wonderful examples of basically any vehicle out there going around a track with good results. If you modify a car and drive it very well, I'm sure you'll pass sports cars on the track... not exactly a rare occurance.

John, I'm not trying to be offensive of anything... just pointing out that the 951 and Supras are very different cars with very different purposes: one was meant for the twisties, one was meant for the straights. That's all
Old 08-14-2004, 03:46 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I always wanted a 944 turbo so I went ahead and purchased it. Now I'm pretty satisified with the car, just an incredible car to drive. Alot of people ask me why I always buy a porsche, and I just answer, I can't explain it you have to own one to know. After I sell the 951 I'm going to have to decide between alot of other sport cars, or I might do the ***** thing and find me a sport sedan.

But to comment on supras, my friend has one and that thing is a beast. Incredible looking car, and the engineering on the engine is flawless compared to other sport cars. Can you name a car that can take that much abuse and power?
Old 08-14-2004, 06:06 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03
The stock suspension setup and setting on a MkIV isn't up to par with what I would consider "sports car" stature. You can talk about this and that, but when it comes down to it, they are heavy and large. They are very good for 1)lighting up their tires and 2)going in a straight line VERY fast (to a certain point... then they revert back to #1) I'm not saying they aren't good cars, but for what I consider a sports car, the later Supra's just didn't fit the bill. You can't really claim a car is a good handler by saying it has good skidpad numbers, John, sorry. I can put R-compounds on my truck and get numbers if you'd like, but does that make it a good handler? No, it means it gets good traction in a constant radius circle. You also can find wonderful examples of basically any vehicle out there going around a track with good results. If you modify a car and drive it very well, I'm sure you'll pass sports cars on the track... not exactly a rare occurance.

John, I'm not trying to be offensive of anything... just pointing out that the 951 and Supras are very different cars with very different purposes: one was meant for the twisties, one was meant for the straights. That's all
Thats fine. You are very right about them being for two different things. I already said in a earlier post I was probably going to take my 951 to track dedicated status as it once was before. I said I didn't see the point in modded it too much futher for street use. I was planning on dropping 12-15k in a built stroker motor down the line...now I will I will keep it in 2.5 ltr form and leave it on the track. The supra will fill my quest for street hp daily driver car. Very reliable and can make alot of hp.

The reason for my post was your comment was unessesary.

FSAEracer03 Depends what you want... a sports car... or a burnout machine

It made it sound like you were dissing the supra and that you don't consider it a sport's car. That's fine you are entitled to your opinion I just wanted you to know how I felt since you shared your opinion why can't I??

The supra is king on the tollway's....and that's where I do my street racing anyway's ....so it makes sense. I will spend a little more buying the car but, it's alot newer and they hold their value well so that's to be expected. I'll pay 20k in cash and put 5-7k in it and walk my happy butt to the 600rwhp dyno. I have well over 20 grand invested in my current 951(including the car ofcourse)...so I hope you see my hp for doller arguement. Or atleast understand what I am trying to get at.

Supra will be the daily and tollway beast and the 951 will become the weekend track toy. Ofcourse all of this is a little while away. First I want to finished up the 951 with the new turbo and head along with clear's/front splitter/968 wing/roll cage/race seat 5pt harness/fuel cut/halon. This will prolly take another year....then after that I will start stripping un-nessesary things off of the car to get the weight down.

I will certainly keep you guy's posted on both car's. I love porsche's and I will never leave the family.....I just will inherate a new one
Old 08-14-2004, 06:21 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

John, like I said, no offense was intended! Take me with a grain of salt

I happen to have a slightly different view, like you said, as to what I would define a sports car as. For what you want, the Supra fits the bill perfectly! No denying that. Doller per hp, you're dead on there too.
Just making sure you aren't leaving the fam, bro... I still want to see more of your clips
Old 08-15-2004, 01:21 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah I am never leaving the porsche family. I love it here. You guy's have been so so good to me. I could never repay rennlist for what's it done for me. So when I get that im once a week from someone asking a 951 question or needs help finding a 951 or whatever I am always there. In fact I test drove a 951 for a guy just a few day's ago. The deal is going through and he is flying into dallas on monday to get the car. I am always willing to help if I can. You guy's have certainly helped me.

Kevin no hard feeling's what-so-ever bro. Im me next time you see me on we can chat. Iv'e been looking at time frame on my turbo(performace side) completion and I am thinking I can get it done by no latter than dec.04.

Wish me luck on my 400rwhp. I think I can hit it on 20psi with that to4 no problem. What do you guy's think?
Old 08-15-2004, 01:53 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Ok guys, i respect both your opinions. Just let's look over the facts...

1) The 944 is now 12+years old, was running on injectors since the early 80's
2) Look and see if a stock supra SAME year as your 951 can out perform the porsche (do NOT think so).

3) ALL porsches are NOT build for speed, rather grip, grip and MORE grip.

My neighbour has a '94 Supra with 900+hp. It was one hell of a car (running 29psi boost). That **** felt like it was going to rip the pavement appart.

We recently opens a new race track here in Dubai for F1/GT racing. I asked him let's go there and see who can get the best lap times. He just stared at me as said "Your car is for the track, my car is for speed......" He admitted that it was cool having so much power available, and so do i, but he IS getting bored of it.

He drove my car (stock except for a test pipe) and just loved the way it felt, the response and the balance for a 4 cylinder single turbocharged car made in the mid-eighties. He now is thinking of selling that pig and going for a 993 air-cooled twin turbo.

So far, he told me he re-built his engine 3 times since november 2003 (too much nitro) so, go figure.

I love both cars, but at the end of the day, what do you have? a common 'too fast to furious' car or a rare classic example of pure a Porsche sports car ?
Old 08-15-2004, 01:59 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

lol

Quick Reply: Holy shiet! Just got the ride of my life**long read**