Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Remote Turbo Idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 02:36 AM
DV 993tt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Turbo Idea

The current issue of Turbo magazine has an article about a "remote turbo" system. I think this would work great on a turbo 968. Basically the idea is to mount the turbo at the back of the car where the muffler is instead of next to the engine on the ehaust manifold.

I think this offers several key advantages in the 968 application. First, even though the plumbing would long, it would be simple. The intake and exaust manifold would not need to be changed or modified. Second, installing such a system would be easy. There is alot of room where the muffler was compared to the engine compartment. You take off the muffler, mount the turbo where the muffler was and plumb the compressor back to the throttle in the front of the car. As for the intercooler, it can be mounted anywhere on the way to the front of the car. My rough idea is the spare tire well and use airflow from under the car. Third, mounting the turbo far away from the engine means that no more heat is added to the engine compartment and the engine runs cooler. Finally, the great balance of the 968 would not change because not much weight would be added to the front.

I really think this is a great idea. There are endless possibilities. Even a twin turbo would be quite easy to plumb.

JW
'96 993tt 3.8 Zero Clearance
'86 930
'92 968 race
'89 944 turbo race
Old 08-12-2004, 02:42 AM
DV 993tt
Instructor

Here is a link to Squires Turbo Systems. These guys are featured in the Turbo magazine article and have systems for some domestic cars and trucks. www.ststurbo.com

JW
'96 993tt 3.8 Zero Clearance
'86 930
'92 968 race
'89 944 turbo race
Old 08-12-2004, 04:05 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Better to place it where the cat is. Problem,
It will only work with MAP set-up. With MAF,
you're gonna have a BIG headache. What
about intercooler piping ? This system is
only feasible for low boost application.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:37 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The lag is already pretty bad as it is, I don't want it any worse. There was a truck in shown in one of the Mustang boards where they mounted two turbos underneath the car near the back end. Had something like 20-feet of plumbing there and back... Quite funny really.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:18 AM
Rob in Oz
Instructor

Given that most of the energy that makes a turbo work is heat energy, I can't see how you would get effective gains from a turbo mounted at the rear of a car, where most of the exhaust heat has dissipated by conduction and radiation. This is why people wrap their exhaust to turbo pipes. turbos work better, the closer they are to the engine. I'd imagine that the lag would be horrendous, but the boost would be low too, so maybe you wouldn't notice.....

Rob

Last edited by Rob in Oz; 08-12-2004 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-2004, 07:22 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get that at all, either. Why not leave it in the garage - and then you'll save the weight, too.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:31 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the lag from all that plumbing volume and the heat loss I can't believe anyone would even suggest this, much less try and sell it. Though some jokers on E-Bay have tried to to sell crazy boost schemes like that leaf blower plumbed to the intake.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:40 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somehow I dont see the performance this thing would add being very satisfying for the energy required to install it...

And holy boost lag batman. You wouldnt NEED an intercooler, the air rushing past all that piping to the front should do the trick...

Quick Reply: Remote Turbo Idea