Brake pads; how many?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:27 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Brake pads; how many?

We have brakepads on both sides of the discs, or?
I'm buying new pads, so I need to get 8..?..?..(looking for the "embarrased" smiley).

I'm getting Red Stuff pads from EBC. Anybody have any expierience with these?

tia
Old 08-11-2004, 06:21 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup - in pairs per caliper. A set of pads for the front will comprise 4 pads likewise the rear.

Haven't used that lastest Red brew - apparently they have one of the chemists from pagid on the payroll now - I was underwelmed by any of ebc's offering 18mths ago (reds and yellows)

For my money (in NZ) its Mintex 1166 or Pagid Orange
Old 08-11-2004, 06:56 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks George.
I'm looking at Lindsey's site right now; they have Mintex pads, but I cannot find any reference to 1166.
Could you help me out?

Lindsey Mintex Brakes
Old 08-11-2004, 07:02 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pads are usually sold in a "by axle" basis. I found this out when I ordered two sets of Metalmasters from Paragon, thinking id get four pads, all for the rear.

I wound up getting 8 pads, oops lol.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:02 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

If you're not using these at the track, I would just use the Mintex pads in the red box. That's plenty for street usage. Track pads squeal and don't work all that well at street temps.

One box will have enough pads for one axle (4 pads, 2 for the driver side caliper, 2 for the passenger side).
Old 08-11-2004, 07:37 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just looked at the Lindsey site - C-Tech product code should have more detail like M1144/M1155/M1166/M1177 - different heat/friction profiles - check out www.mintex.co.uk site.

ninefiveone - fair call regarding the track use but the rest is a bit of a gross generalisation

I have found that both the Pagid Orange and the Mintex 1166 both work extremely well from cold and if you use anti-squeal spray on the backing plates after bedding in or a decent track session then no issues with squeal. I would however conceed that they are both dirty pads.

I run M1166 in the Subaru and I don't track it - reason; the 1166 have a very consistent C of F across the temperature range, work from cold and are not going to give up on you during your sunday drive or that long down-hill with the trailer on.

Granted we don't have a huge choice in pad types in NZ, but I've tried Factory no names, Bendix, QFM, EBC, Ferodo, Mintex and Pagid in a range of compounds over the years on a variety of vehicles.

All my cars have to fulfil daily driver duties so my choices reflect where I am prepared to draw the compromise line -

BUT do take on board ninefiveones comments - there is nothing more embarrasing then jumping in your car, attempting to stop at the first intersction and filing up the back of some one because there is no heat in your flash race pads which only begin to work at 200C (no I dea how many F's that is)

Hope that helps
Old 08-11-2004, 07:47 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

I agree the pagid oranges work fine on the street except for the dust. I had lots of squeal but I never bothered with anti-squeal agents. Actually, even the Pagid Blacks work ok at street temps. I just find their street temp performance less than impressive when you've gotten used to their track temp abilities.

Do you find that they wear faster at street temps though? Oranges seemed to wear inordinately fast on the street for me and I'm pretty light on brakes.

For street use, I tend to point people to the run of the mill Mintex of Metalmasters because too many people are eager to throw track ready items on a car with unrealistic expectations. For 80% of people, the mintex or metalmasters will work well beyond their needs with no squeal or dust and relatively long life.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:37 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually thought the Pagid wear was pretty good for hi-po pads but saying that its probably a fraction of what a set of oem pads in a street only mode would last.

I've just changed pads in the Porsche - got 20,000km out of the fronts which is both street and track and rotors are down to 0.8mm over min thickness to give you an idea.

I've never been a fan of switching pad compounds on the same rotor without resurfacing it - not sure where that belief came from - but is why I've chosen a pad that does both daily driver and track days.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:11 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

I've actually had a lot of success with swapping pad compounds. I used to swap between track and street pads and that did wonders for eliminating pad transfer issues.

Nowadays i just live with it if it comes up. I'm too lazy these days to swap plus the SBS pads I'm running have been very ideal dual use pads except for a rare squeal and lots of dust.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeNZ
I would however conceed that they are both dirty pads.
You can say that again. I have Mintex on my 83 and they are by far the dustiest pads I've ever had in the 11 years I've owned the car.

Pagid makes the dealer pads which I have on my S2. They're also dusty, but nothing like the Mintex. Very expensive, though!

The best "inexpensive" aftermarket pads I've had have been PBR. Not dusty at all and very good stopping power.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:47 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I will be doing mostly street, with maybe 3-4 DEs and 5 rounds of autox a year.
Will the standard Mintex pads suffice?
Old 08-12-2004, 09:36 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

I think you'll be fine with Mintex Redbox or PBR Metalmasters. Hawk+ may be a better fit if you find these pads don't do well for you at DE's. Pads are easy to change on a 951 so it's easy to experiment.

Luis - Pagid, Jurid, and Mintex all make "oem" replacement pads but those are all dusty and sometimes squealy. I would always stay away from the "oem" replacement pads although they function just fine.

Some people feel the metalmasters have poor bite when cold. I've been through 10 sets and have noticed this to be true on 1 of those sets. I have no idea why the variance is there.

Quick Reply: Brake pads; how many?