Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LSD rebuild... Few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 04:43 AM
Indica
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD rebuild... Few questions...

I am thinking about rebuilding my LSD out of a turboS trans. I still need to test the breakaway torque to see if it is bad- but I have a feeling it is (the trans that it was in ran out of oil and bearings seized). Anyone know how much it will cost me in parts? I have a new trans to put this into and I want to make sure that I only do the job once.
Is there anyway to modify the LSD and make it stronger?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:55 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I assume you mean torque bias when you say "make it stronger" and not physical power handling. You can adjust lockup with the amount of preload you put on the clutch packs while rebuilding, there is a tolerance that you can shim within. Besides the entire tranny rebuild labor and parts cost, I'd budget another 1000 for the LSD and hope you only spend 750 of it.

Sam
Old 08-11-2004, 05:31 AM
Indica
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I meant more torque bias- while I am in there I might as well make it stronger.
$1000 for LSD? Is this parts and labor? I was going to buy parts myself and do the rebuild myself (i cant afford a mechanic!). I have the manuals and it looks pretty straight forward- I think I will take the trans to a shop for the installation of the differential- just to make sure that bearing preload and R&P backlash is ok- I wish I could set up the bearing preload and R&Pmyself but i might be getting in over my head- who knows maybe I can figure it out with the help of the manuals.

Does anyone think it is worth it for me to install turboS 1@2 gears in my non turboS trans? It is a very nice low miles 87 trans. Or should I just sell my Turbo trans and rebuild the TurboS trans? I took it apart- no metal anywhere- the gears look great- the R&P looks fine also. So I am assuming that the bearings seized.

Tomarrow I am going to test the LSD and see if it is up to torque specs. If it is within the factory specs would you be confident that it will last.

My car was in a accident. I ran over a Black Bear. The car launched over the bear like a ramp- and ended up in the other lane. I fixed the front end damage- but failed to notice the oil cooler leaking. One night the trans started making loud noise and then seized up!

Sorry if I am rambling- I just am not sure what direction to take.

Quick Reply: LSD rebuild... Few questions...