head gasket failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 04:05 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy head gasket failure

coolant leak into cylinder #4.
First sign was pressurization of coolant, causing overflow from the expansion tank, then some steam in the rear view mirror on startup this morning.
Its at the shop now, head is coming off v soon. fingers crossed there is no cylinder scoring or block damage etc.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:52 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

damn man that sux! u work out why yet?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just finished fixing mine from the same problem on #1 cylinder. Problem seemed to be just an old, decaying head gasket. Did a valve job "while I was in there", though, and replacing the valve guides solved a major oil consumption issue. I had no scoring on my cylinder walls, so I hope it works out OK for you as well.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:25 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

Everything looks OK apparently phew! the failure reasoning given was basically as Waterguy outlined above, 15year old original head gasket gave up the ghost. I will post a pic of the old gasket when I get it back.
A feedback so far was that a couple of the lifters were a 'bit tired' and there was a reccomendation to do the valves also.
The shop intend fitting a widefire, have read all the threads on head gaskets here, first time round I will go with their expierence I think.
Waterguy what head gasket did go with?
Fac we still havn't managed to catch up - must do it once i'm back on the road, will probably get a tech edge wb02 so I could give you a demo of that at some stage if interested.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:56 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hally, I assume you have read my " *&^@^%$#$ Headgasket!!" thread. I took a close look at the standard, wide fire and MLS headgaskets from an engineering perspective and have to conclude that the MLS gasket is by far the best option if the car is pushed beyond the standard specs.
In that thread I also outline a simple test method to assess if the cylinder head needs attention. Essentially by pulling vacuum in the runners and measuring the leak.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 AM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was no sign of burning or damage to the compression rings of the 110k mile stock head gasket, so I went with dealer stock. I also did valve grind, guides, decked head, and replaced four lifters (two were "tired", two had started to wear through the chrome plating.) Only 800 miles on the new head gasket, but I can tell you that everything seems fine and my oil consumption has gone way down with the new valve guides. And the lifters are so quiet on start-up now....
Old 08-10-2004, 03:56 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

yeah hally, i'm on my second car now . prolly looks very similar to yours lol. white, 89, guru chips, etc etc.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:03 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

Laust - i read your thread, thanks (couple of times!), I'm going to keep the boost down at 15-16psi.
facboy - I have a vision of a photo of two shiny alpine white turbos side by side under the start finish line at the GP track next March, what do ya reckon!
Old 08-10-2004, 10:07 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

lol...i need to get new wheels first, mine are fugly as.

Quick Reply: head gasket failure