Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

500 bhp anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 02:50 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 500 bhp anyone?

Right now I have an n/a 944 and was planning on getting a C4 corvette - mainly for its power/torque. However, last night I thought - maybe a highly moddified 951 would be fun too, so I got online and looked at stuff like bigger turbos, wastegates, headers/exhaust, intercoolers, engine management, MAFs, bigger injectors, FPRs, camshafts, ported heads, intake manifolds, etc (mostly from Lindsey Racing). Would it be possible to get close to 500 hp at the crank with these mods? What about with an all bore 2.8L motor plus above upgrades? If not 500 hp, I know it would still be putting out some serious power.

So we know we can make a bunch of power, but how about getting that power to the ground? The monster of which I dream will need at least some 285s out back, if not bigger, so how do I fit wheels that big in there without bulging out like an inch?

Even so, the tires are not my main concern. What about the stock transaxle? Won't it pop with power like that? What would need to be done to beef up the tranny (and I'm talking about more than just a new clutch here), or would I need to look at a custom built job?

I suppose it'll need the 993 big brake kit and a full coil-over package, but we can worry about brakes and suspension later. For now I just wanna figure out if I should pursue this idea any further, and right now the transmission issue is the kicker for me.

For anyone who got to this sentence, thanks for reading this far!
Old 08-08-2004, 03:02 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Breaking the 500hp barrier has been done serveral times befor.

People on this board and in magazines also show a step-by-step mod process on how they acheived this.

Befor i say anything, do you think that 500hp would be drivable everyday?

Would you REALLY need 500hp?
Old 08-08-2004, 03:09 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe Scott Gomes has built a few 500HP "944 Turbo" cars. His outfit is called "Under Pressure Performance," and they're in Massachusetts.

I presume you've read the article in GT & Purely Porsche, claiming that white 951 to be the "most powerful in the world." I guess they've never heard of Scott or Power Haus, in the U.K.!
Old 08-08-2004, 03:19 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
I believe Scott Gomes has built a few 500HP "944 Turbo" cars. His outfit is called "Under Pressure Performance," and they're in Massachusetts.

I presume you've read the article in GT & Purely Porsche, claiming that white 951 to be the "most powerful in the world." I guess they've never heard of Scott or Power Haus, in the U.K.!
There is a rumor going around that he has built one that surpassed 1000hp. I find this very hard to believe though, and can't seem to get any response from him on this. One Rennlist member though, has a turbo'd 3.0l pushing out almost 500 to the tires. DFASTEST is his name on here, and he has a verified 500+hp 951.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:20 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Would you REALLY need 500hp?
Hell no! but I wouldn't need the 'vette's 300 hp either, so why not go all out?

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Before i say anything, do you think that 500hp would be drivable everyday?
Of course not; but I'd do it anyway. Just for the sake of sane thinking, what would be the max hp goal for a barely streetable car?

Last edited by aeronautica86; 08-08-2004 at 03:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-08-2004, 03:27 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

I'll second that Scott has built a few 500hp (flywheel) engines. Mine will be one of them when I finnish putting it together. Here's the the sight for UPP http://www.area951.com/
He recently moved to larger facility, so the address on the sight isn't correct, but the phone number didn't change, so it's still correct.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:31 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I've seen the website but haven't tried calling. I emailed him with no response though. I feel kinda wierd just calling and saying "hey, have you built a thousand horsepower motor for a 951?" you know? Do you know if he has or hasn't? I'd be dubious of any 1000hp claims for these motors due to their displacement and material choice, but I'd believe a dyno graph! (hint hint)
Old 08-08-2004, 03:38 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

I suppose I should mention my main goal really wouldn't be some insanely high peak numbers. What I'd like is a nice long, flat usable torque curve...and 1/4 mile times in the 11s would be nice too
Old 08-08-2004, 03:44 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

FSAEracer03
I've nevered asked about it the 1000hp engine. Also Scott is the type of person who wouldn't say a thing unless he had undisputable evidence. And even a dyno chart can be faked. So why shake the hornets nest, you know what I mean?
Old 08-08-2004, 03:56 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

aeronautica86
This sight has some good dyno charts posted on it.
http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/
You'll see that the HP curve stays decently flat, in the upper rpm's, for most of the examples.

Edit:
I think typically you see more of a concave hp & tq curve on a turbo engine than you would on a N/A engine, because of the boost building as rpm increases. At the 500hp level max boost typically will not happen until 4K to 4.5K rpm. There are a lot of variables that will effect those rpm numbers though.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:07 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Oh I know what you mean... but I'd still love to see it. If he is ok with sharing the numbers/charts, I'd be more than willing to hearing about it! If you know him personally, would you mind dropping a question sometime? I'm very interested in what actually IS the limit of the motors. If it's all the same to you and he doesn't mind, I'd love to hear about his endeavors.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:12 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Eh...here is my attempt to bring this thread back to the main question....we know that the power can be made with the car, but can rear end gear handle it?
Old 08-08-2004, 04:19 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
Eh...here is my attempt to bring this thread back to the main question....we know that the power can be made with the car, but can rear end gear handle it?
Sorry about that... answer: hell no. The drivetrain, though beefed up for the Turbo models, wasn't designed to handle that much power. The clutch/half-shafts and tranny/diff would need to be upgraded. I'm not too sure about the torque tube, however.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:21 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Ok, that is what I thought. Where might I look for a tranny builder for this kind of project?
Old 08-08-2004, 04:39 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, the driveline will have some issues at those power levels. I don't think it's as big of a problem when excelerating from highway speeds, but launching the car will cause some rapid failures.

I think you can get custom gearing made for these transmissions, they may be more durable?? but thier $$$$ to get.
Does anyone know if cryo treating the gears has helped any?

FSAE you got a PM

Quick Reply: 500 bhp anyone?