Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

500 bhp anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin, I will make every attempt to. Lord only knows where that magazine is now. I know I kept it, there was an article about a 944 with some custom stuff in the same issue. If I can find it I will be happy to post it.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

More on Spec clutch - Defiantly more chatter than stock. If you are a clutch slipper they you don’t want this set up. I have the lighten pressure plate and the aluminum flywheel – the lack of rotating mass can make gentle 1st gear start kind of difficult.
In a hard driving situation they work very nicely. Revs come up quite quickly – I have had to ‘retime’ my heel toe down shifting because the revs come up quickly.

Chris
Old 08-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Can you compare the Spec PP to the KEP PP or to stock? I dont like the ultra light feel of the stock PP at all, I much prefer my ACT X-Treme in my RX7.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

The ultralight feel of the stock pressure plate? You lost me there – the stock pressure plate is pretty damn heavy. The Spec lightened unit looks very similar to a stock unit but has lightening holes drilled in to the clamping surface.
Added clamping force and lighter weight.
I haven’t used the KEP parts so I can’t give you a comparison there. I have used some custom discs before that have worked well – generally the more you increase the clamping force and the aggressiveness of the disc compound there is a definite increase in the possibility of chatter. You learn to drive with it. For example – if you don’t heel / toe or at least blip the throttle on down shifts you will end up with a lot of chatter / shudder. Match revs nice and all you will notice is nice quick shifts!

Chris
Old 08-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Chris, we are talking about different kinds of feel. I suspect you are talking about physical weight, I am talking about the relative ease at which the pedal is pressed in. Sorry. I am familiar with various clutch setups, I use an ACT X-Treme PP with a 6 puck disc in my convertible. I can deal with the chatter, I have heard from numerous people that it was excessive so I wanted the opinion of someone with more experience to add to/remove that that myth as the case may be.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-09-2004, 03:19 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The KEP PP is about 1.5 to 2x stiffer in terms of pedal effort compared to stock. I hated it when I first got it, but I'm used to it now, even in rush hour. My left leg is definately stronger from the workout!
Old 08-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Dave E
Pro

You should see the crank that was in the 1000hp engine, counterweights are paper thin and dished out on the sides facing the rods, truly some amazing stuff at Gomes's place. He is really busy with the new location, he says he doesn't check the boards or email, or voicemail much right now. If you call and he answers, it is because he wanted to talk to you. I for one believe what he says about high hp builds he has done. How about a 750hp car with the motor repositioned vertically (so the turbo could go on the exhaust side) with a hump in the hood? Dry sumped too! twisted the car so much the windshield broke until a cage was welded in...
Old 08-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Now I know what you mean! The Spec clutch is only very slightly stiffer than the cup clutch pressure plate. I have always (doesn’t mean its right!) referred to the amount of pedal pressure as ‘stiffness’ – that usually gets the idea across quickly, especially when we are talking about actual weight of the components.
The chattering is noticeable but not annoying to me.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:46 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03
Could you try to find that TR article and post it?? That's just insanity... remember what kind of dyno they used that was good up there?

I don't care what name plate is on a car sometimes. Cars like the Z06 prove that cars made outside of Germany can really perform at the track... even out of the box.
Very Patriotic guys and that is to be admired, I am not into knocking US products. I am a big fan of the US. In fact I would rather the UK became a satelite state of USA than got any more involved with Europe but now I am getting political and that is for another forum.
The fact is the Corvette is a great car (shame it only comes to UK in Left hooker) however have any of you guys driven on British Country Roads or British Tracks for that matter. At tracks like Croft or Snetterton the Vette may have the edge. But at tracks like Mallory Park, Brands Hatch, Oulton Park and even Donnington the 951 is a more nimble package and would carry more exit speed from the corners which are very narrow its size would be an issue. The same thing goes for British Roads. In US you are lucky enough to live in a land where the car is king and roads are built to suit.(I have driven many miles in US from Montana all the way down to the Florida Keys)
You guys should have a go over here, its very different!
Just for the record remember who were consulted in the suspension development for the Corvette? Yes us limeies @ LOTUS! The same country that designs the chassis for CART/CHAMPCAR series and the Aston Martin Vanquish which aint a bad car out of the box!!

Cheers
Tom
Old 08-09-2004, 05:33 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

uh tom i'm not going to speak for any others, but it has absolutely nothing to do with being patriotic for me. i've simply watched a few track events where very capable 951 drivers got spanked by Z06s. this appears to be the case for most people who have either driven on the track against these cars or watched others drive against them.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:25 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I'm Canadian. So I can't even be patriotic if I wanted to lol.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:51 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rage2
I'm Canadian. So I can't even be patriotic if I wanted to lol.
PMSL !!!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 07:04 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

From what I have seen, the Z06 in stock form is tough to beat. It doesn't suit my taste, but for the simple task of lapping most road courses, it is an excellent setup. Sure, you can get a 951 to compete with a Z06. It would require a setup that is as involved as TonyG's (only person off the top of my head who claimed to spank Z06s in his 951...others probably do as well).

I know that it would require a well-sorted suspension and probably at least 350rwhp-400rwhp to hang with them. That isn't an easy task for a track car. It is doable, but it isn't something you see everyday.

That being said, I own a 951 and not a Z06. There are a number of reasons, but overall track speed is not one of them. Now a C4 is not in the same league IMO. The chassis isn't nearly as advnaced as the C5. The C5 may not have the steering feel of a Porsche/BMW, but it is still damn nimble.

Max

Quick Reply: 500 bhp anyone?