Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

500 bhp anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 04:51 AM
daniel951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much money are u looking to dropping into this car. Also are u going to be doing work or having shops
Old 08-08-2004, 09:39 AM
C5Driver951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys were around a few years ago, you may remember Scott saying he purchased one of the original Bob Norwood motors. These were the 968 creations that made around 1000hp. The story has it Bob drove a Testarossa to a dyno day with a bunch of Vipers, laid down over 1000hp, and drove away. Cool stuff.

So, Scott may have built one of these motors after that, but I think this is the motor you're referring to. I have no doubt he built some other serious engines. He stated he has customers driving around with 600+hp daily drivers. Try searching the e-mail lists histories.

I hope you have a big bank account. 500hp reliably isn't going to be cheap.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:58 AM
billgot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
I suppose I should mention my main goal really wouldn't be some insanely high peak numbers. What I'd like is a nice long, flat usable torque curve...and 1/4 mile times in the 11s would be nice too

Get the corvette you will never get that in the 951. The vette is a better platform.As soon as you say 1/4 the 951 is out.The vette's parts are cheap er and you need to do less.But It will cost more in the beginning.Usable torque curve a car with the power you talk about will have less of a bottom end because you turbo will have to be quite big.unless you custom a twin turbo setup Hmmm.Then you r talking more money.Stick with the vette its you best choice for your goals.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:21 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by billgot
As soon as you say 1/4 the 951 is out.
Yes, I know. This won't be a 1/4 mile car, I'm not a drag person - I was just using that as an example to show that I'll be looking for a rather fast car.

Also, I live about an hour or so from Dallas...is Norwood Performance (I think thats the right name) still around?

And what should I do about finding a tranny for this car? Even if I were to shoot for 'only' 400 hp or so, the stock transaxle would still need some work.

Last edited by aeronautica86; 08-08-2004 at 11:25 AM. Reason: fix quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Kevin M
Instructor

Hey Aeronautica,
If you want a real project, how about using the transaxle from a C5 vette in our cars. If you want to really get crazy, look into dropping in a modded z06 motor, along with a 993 rear suspension into your 951. It sounds crazy at first, but I believe it can be done (crazy cash outlay not withstanding).
Kevin
Old 08-08-2004, 12:01 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Hey Aeronautica,
If you want a real project, how about using the transaxle from a C5 vette in our cars. If you want to really get crazy, look into dropping in a modded z06 motor, along with a 993 rear suspension into your 951. It sounds crazy at first, but I believe it can be done (crazy cash outlay not withstanding).
Kevin
yeah, and a custom 928 TT swap would be a good idea too I've heard of smallblock v8s being put into a 944 chassis, but I'm not interested in bastardizing any porsches....and I don't want to spend that kind of money
Old 08-08-2004, 12:26 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you ever driven a 951? You should go test drive some; they're a blast. The last thing you're going to get is a flat curve (oxymoronic?). When the boost comes on in these things it's breath-taking. I admit, I've never ridden in a 500hp 951, but I've ridden in a couple that are putting out 350+ hp. There's nothing in the world to put a ****-eatin grin on your face like boost
I do agree that the best platform for a stomp-it-and-go, quarter mile car is a Corvette. But if you want something that's a blast to drive and chews up the twisties while getting decent gas mileage, the 951 is your car!
Old 08-08-2004, 12:27 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just so you know theres a bunch of people around here running 300s on the rears of their 951s... IIRC Danno has some 300s on his car, you could PM him and ask for more info.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:29 PM
billgot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
Yes, I know. This won't be a 1/4 mile car, I'm not a drag person - I was just using that as an example to show that I'll be looking for a rather fast car.

Also, I live about an hour or so from Dallas...is Norwood Performance (I think thats the right name) still around?

And what should I do about finding a tranny for this car? Even if I were to shoot for 'only' 400 hp or so, the stock transaxle would still need some work.
The transaxle will hold up depending how hard you drive it.I am pushing 400 HP the only time I broke was at a drag strip and that was axelshafts.I had slick on as well and a bad wheel hop.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:47 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

aeronautica86:

I smoke my buddy in his 87 NON stock C4 all day long
Old 08-08-2004, 12:53 PM
FlyingPig
Advanced

a cheap alternative to custom making / rebuilding the trans would be to get one from a 928 or 968. The 968s actualy got a pretty beefy transaxle, (who knows why), and i believe the 951s transaxle wasnt even made by porsche (VW/Audi maybe?).

The 928 transaxle is probably your best choice, that thing has been known to hold monster hp with ease. Of course you would have to worry about things like gear ratios, etc. and its still not an easy fit, but its probably the closest transaxle to the 951s.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:53 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Yeah but 951's go round corners a lot better than Vettes, and once you start fitting Penske Suspension to make the Vette handle you start getting into serious bucks. I know a guy who campaigned a vette in the GT Class and a Viper before. He is now back behind the wheel of a Porsche as it is a much better starting package and less hassle to get it right.
The 951 was never designed as a drag strip car, in fact Porsche have never designed one that was. These are sporting cars and as one fellow rennlist member quotes as his mantra "the skill is in the corners"
If you want a standing 1/4 car get a lotus super 7 with a turbocharged hyabussa lump it weighs about the same as a bath tub, looks like one and has a better power to weight ratio than a Formula 1 Ferrari. 0-60mph 2.7 seconds topping out about 145+

You pays ya money and takes ya chances. But if you are looking for a package that will give good acceleration, pretty impressive top end, comfort and still legendary handling the 951 is going to win.

#On the subject of Transmissions, there are stil a few of the 968 Turbo 6-speeds available from Porsche . Last I heard they were about $8500 complete. These I believe will handle the power, but anything can be destryed if abused.

Cheers
Tom

Originally Posted by billgot
Get the corvette you will never get that in the 951. The vette is a better platform.As soon as you say 1/4 the 951 is out.The vette's parts are cheap er and you need to do less.But It will cost more in the beginning.Usable torque curve a car with the power you talk about will have less of a bottom end because you turbo will have to be quite big.unless you custom a twin turbo setup Hmmm.Then you r talking more money.Stick with the vette its you best choice for your goals.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:03 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
I believe Scott Gomes has built a few 500HP "944 Turbo" cars. His outfit is called "Under Pressure Performance," and they're in Massachusetts.

I presume you've read the article in GT & Purely Porsche, claiming that white 951 to be the "most powerful in the world." I guess they've never heard of Scott or Power Haus, in the U.K.!
Well I am in UK and have heard of most of those and dealt with them too.
In UK magazine editors know more about paper thickness than accuracy of articles. Remember we invented the tabloid press (not proud of it either!)
The car in question is Andrew Sweetenhams 2.8 and it is not even the most powerful in UK. It was featured in 911 & Porsche World too (syndicated feature) Andrew owns ProMax racing and is quite a decent guy but if you can get company promotion through sensationalisation who can blame him.
Our problem in Europe is there are very few people interested in tuning watercooled porsches. In fact most tuning shops fit large alloy wheels, big exhausts and K&N filters on euro boxes.
Don't you find this incredible as UK is the base for most of the Formula 1 industry??

Cheers
Tom
Old 08-08-2004, 01:19 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

500hp can be used everyday. If it couldn't, Mercedes-Benz wouldn't be selling so many 500hp AMG cars .

Building a daily driven 500hp 951 ain't cheap (I'm not talking about 500hp on race gas, daily driven means pump gas). You'd definately need at least 2.8L, probably 3.0L to do it right. For that money, you can buy a Z06, supercharge it, and still have left over money for tires and track day fees. And it'll run circles around the 500hp 951.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:25 PM
FlyingPig
Advanced

just a quick note
a 500hp 951 isnt a 500hp amg

how much does the amg weigh? 1000lbs more? right...
and the amg comes with traction control....
besides, a 500hp 951 would sh*t all over the amg

Quick Reply: 500 bhp anyone?