Rebuild Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Matthew West
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild Wastegate

Hey all,

I am interested in rebuilding my own wastegate. Does anyone have information on where to get parts etc?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by Matthew West; 08-09-2004 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:00 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Hi Matt,

Its not really a good idea, from what I can tell the parts from KKK cost more than to go out and buy either a Tial, Guru Racing or a Lindsey Racing dual port ($7-800). Even if you do rebuild the new spring is still not strong enough to hold boost. Despite what everybody says about the spring getting weak over time the fact is that it was never strong enough in the first place. Plus the fact that the release is only controled by by one side of the diapragm on the original. My preferred method was the Lindsey Dual Port however many people swear by the tial plus there are dozens of other generic remote wastegates on the market. I think "MySwiss" does a good deal on the Tial or contact Danno for a price on the Guru or www.lindseyracing.com for their offering

Cheers
Tom
Old 08-07-2004, 07:20 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Go Tial or go home.....
Old 08-08-2004, 01:41 AM
Matthew West
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. As Lindsey and Guru are offerring rebuilt factory wastegates I was hoping that I would be able to source the parts and do a similar rebuild myself. There is good information as to how strong of a spring to replace the original with etc...

A lot of us in the community like to turn our own wrenches and fortunately a lot of faqs are available for the do it yourselfer's amoung us. This board has helped me through: turbo swaps, clutch replacements, rod bearings, oil pressure problems, suspension replacement, vacuum leaks, failed fuel system components, DME problems, sun roof issues, head gasket replacement, etc...

I am looking for information on how to rebuild my own wastegate and where to source the parts. If one of our tuners sells a kit for this project I am very interested.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Matthew West
Instructor

Bump
Old 08-09-2004, 06:19 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

The only way to find out more regarding the Diapragm housing used by Lindsey or Guru is to get your hands on one. I bought one and it works well so I have been asked by some friends to build some for them. I am testing some new materials for the diapragms as well as trying aluminium pistons instead. So yes it can be done but the best suggestion is to buy a core on ebay to use as a development mule. I have bought a couple for around $30 to experiment with.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Matthew West
Instructor

Ok all of you people running Tial wastegates, who want's to part with one for 25 bucks?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

The factory wastegate was not built with the idea of rebuilding in mind, it would appear. The Lindsey unit just uses the casting, but replaces the whole diaphram part. It's more a a remodel than a rebuild. If you are looking to save money, the deltagate is cheap (cheaper on ebay) and has lasted 4 years in my car with up to 350rwhp and 23psi at times--fully rebuildable too.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:28 AM
Matthew West
Instructor

Well shoot if they are not rebuildable then I will reimburse shipping and give a $10 bounty to anyone who ships me a used factory wastegate. Just include SASE envelope in the box and a note saying what shipping was (Please send it ground as I don't want to spend much on this investigation.)

Matt West
10808 W. LakeJoy DR. NE
Carnation, WA 98014

Quick Reply: Rebuild Wastegate