Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ripped Cam Tower gasket 3 times

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 04:56 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hylomar for the gasket and good ole Cold Vaseline to hold the followers in!
Make sure the vaseline is cold though!
Snap On do a long 3/8 drive Magnertic Hex works a treat!
After you have done the job a few times it gets easier, like everything!!
Old 08-04-2004, 05:47 PM
billgot
Rennlist Member

Thanks again All of you.I was able to put it on but I am not real sure if the gasket will not leak.Some assembly Lube got on the gasket when I turned The cam Cover over does this give it a better chance of leaking? I Bought 2 extra Gaskets and might try it again depending on what you guys think about the Assembly Lube on the gasket.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:18 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

why not wait and see, if it leaks, then replace it. No point in taking it off just in case it leaks, keep an eye on it for a while and see how it goes.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:25 PM
baron951
Instructor

billgot I will call you
The biggest pain with these gaskets is they will slide my theory is that both parts head and cam tower are aluminum and they expand and contract the gasket is real thin so it will slide and evently tear its self causing a leak ususally near the back this will drip on the exhaust and smoke like hell
some times a gasket I had to change mine 4 times in one year because of this. Once it starts leaking it will get real bad fast like a day or two.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:43 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"The biggest pain with these gaskets is they will slide my theory is that both parts head and cam tower are aluminum and they expand and contract the gasket is real thin so it will slide and evently tear its self causing a leak ususally near the back this will drip on the exhaust and smoke like hell
some times a gasket I had to change mine 4 times in one year because of this."

This may be why the Porsche gasket has graphite coatings at the ends.

Just to show how easy to install the cam tower without tearing the gasket we (Danno and I) installed it 3 times without tearing the gasket.

Alright, so maybe there were other reasons for the three-peat, namely a dropped socket that could not be extracted by a magnet and a missing bolt, which after shaking the tower and turning the cam still did not show up. The bolt is still unaccounted for, so hopefully it will show up in a non-critical place.

Quick Reply: Ripped Cam Tower gasket 3 times