Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Muting a stereo with Radar Detector and GPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muting a stereo with Radar Detector and GPS

I didn't have much luck on the main 944 board so I thought I would post here as well.

I installed a Sony-Ericsson bluetooth hands-free kit with the HCE-16 advanced music mute harness - for anyone who has a bluetooth phone I highly recommend it - it will mute my stereo when a call comes in and unmute when the call is finished, allows for voice activated dialing, plays the audio through my car speakers, and allows me to have the phone in a briefcase in the hatch and still answer it. This got me thinking as to how I could accomplish the same thing with my Radar Detector and GPS (both of which give audible directions and have an "external speaker" type jack). In a utopic world this is what I would like to accomplish:

(1) Muting the car stereo when a radar detector or gps gives an audible instruction.
(2) Playing the audio through my car speakers.
(3) Have a switch that will allow me to decide whether the audio actually mutes the stereo (say for long trips I would want it on and short trips I would want it off)

I am sure someone will chime in with the obvious solution - turn down the radio and enjoy listening to your engine - as a pseudo-musician, however, I really enjoy listening to music (not bass thumpers, just simple classic rock). I did some searching on Google and other forums and have found that some people use a relay hooked up to the accessory wire to actually turn on and off the radio. I suppose a simple switch could be added to use or bypass the relay ultimately accomplishing #3. Has anyone else rigged something up like this? I am open to any other suggestions or solutions for accomplishing the above - Thanks -

Jeremy

Quick Reply: Muting a stereo with Radar Detector and GPS