Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Advice Required!! Which MAF System is best Bang 4 Buck!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 07:20 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Required!! Which MAF System is best Bang 4 Buck!!

I am getting myself a bit confused here!
I am looking to go for a MAF kit, and have looked at most of the various suppliers but need advice from anybody who has been in the same situation.
I must admit to likeing the Lindsey kit however I am a bit phased by the idea of having to take a laptop out if I go out anywhere and want to make adjustments. Is there anything more modular?
Just bought myself a T61 ceramic ball bearing turbo off Turbonetics, fitting a lindsey dual port wastegate and am currently running Autothority stage 2 chipset and banjo bolt. My car is a 1991 944 Turbo SE (one of the last)
with 75,000 miles from new.
What would you guys go for?
The same question goes for injectors too!

Thanks in advance
Tom
Old 07-27-2004, 08:31 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought myself a T61 ceramic ball bearing turbo off Turbonetics, fitting a lindsey dual port wastegate and am currently running Autothority stage 2 chipset and banjo bolt
First of all, get rid of the chips. The reason is that those chips are tuned for your stock car. By moddifying anything, you would just HATE everything. Get some customs chips from Gururacing, tell them what you have in the car and what boost levels you desire. They would burn a set of chips for you (around $399 or so).

Secondly, if you would install a MAF or a MAP system, you NEED to fine tune it. Systems such as the Link, Power Perfect, MAFTERBURNER etc all require custom mapping for fuel, A/F Ratio, boost, etc.

I myself would LOVE a MAP system, but i am not into the electronic world and would have a hard time installing one, even a harder time tuning my car (i have no idea on timing, fuel, duty cycle etc).

Go for a MAP, system, if you are planning on running between 15psi~17psi. Keep your stock injectors, they would be fine. Anything more would need 55lbs+ injectors (depends on your boost and your modds).

Drop Danno a PM or e-mail (www.gururacing.net). He has GREAT stuff and information that you would find handy. Same goes for Dave at Lindsey Racing.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:49 PM
'86 944 turbo
Burning Brakes

Speaking of MAP systems, does anyone have pics of them installing it? I'm installing my kit tomorrow and don't want to mess up. Thanks
Old 07-27-2004, 08:55 PM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

before you buy anything, you might do some research on the various vendors to see what kind of service you'll get and how long it will take to get your parts. nothing worse than tearing your car apart eagerly awaiting for parts to come next week and it taking months.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:48 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

tommo951...........

Don't believe everything you read here. There are people who post their opinions and have no business imparting information. Take it all with a grain of salt. On the other hand, there are several guys who post who really know their **** and are extremely helpful! Read the various posts......you'll be able to tell which is which. So do your homework, search & search & search again, sift and sort it all out until you're comfortable making your own decision! Just my two cents!
Old 07-27-2004, 11:03 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

I have the SpeedForceRacing MAF with the ARC2. It was very easy to install, set-up and tune. They are all similar.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:54 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you don't want the adjust via laptop get a system using the ARC2 controller. With that you adjust manually with *****.

Some time ago I looked at the maps for the T61 and it should be a very good turbo for the 951!
How are you going to fit it?
Old 07-28-2004, 05:58 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those running APE MAF, there is no controlleR? i saw their site and besides the cone, tube, wires and chips, that is just about it. No controller mentioned..........or is there?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:32 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

you can update the APE MAF with a controller from Lindsey
Old 07-28-2004, 12:20 PM
DrRon
Instructor

Tom,

Practical experience here - we have a racer, and ordered the Lindsay St3 MAF kit. Install was easy - everything fitted well. Wiring is pretty straightforward. I guess if you go for a MAF kit, you might have different injectors, turbo and exhaust, run with different boost, so the possibility to finetune should really be an asset than a liability.

Hooked up the wideband sensor and the MAFterburner, and established contact with the laptop first go - software is very easy to use (can you adjust a software slider?). WBO showed up in the software screen - used an existing fuel map to get the engine going and using the WBO values, started tuning the system. We are breaking in the engine, so we are very careful not to go too lean or rich, but sofar the experience with this system has been very good. I would always get the WBO though - without it, it is hard to know what the engine is doing. Would get one of these even with custom chips - lean conditions might occur, and when they do, you want to know as soon as possible, and not after you have blown something like a HG.

Ron
Old 07-28-2004, 12:28 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

I have just sent a mail to Guru regarding their MAP system, however the more opinions the better.
Thanks everybody up to now for your comments.
Out of interest who still does systems utilisng ARC 2 ?

Cheers
Tom
Old 07-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

MAF: Lindsey Racing gets my vote for having the most engineered solutions on the market.

Injectors: Racetronix Siemens 55s with Newark ballast resistors.

Sam
Old 07-28-2004, 02:52 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Sam,
I tend to agree with you, based on the amount of product they have out in the field
Why is Dave Lindsey so against Ballast Resistors? I have just been informed that Bosch do a 64lb/hr injector with a 5.5ohm resistance. Could this be usefull??
Cheers
Tom
Old 07-29-2004, 01:02 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Actually we are selling a new system with a laptop programmable fuel controller.It has datalogging capabilites ad works very well.In fact we use this same unit on alot of the turbocharger systems we sell for all kinds of other cars.We still offer the ARC2 for those that want something simple and easy to use without having the need for a laptop.We should have some updates for the Porsche stuff on our new website very soon.Take care.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:38 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Tim,

that sounds interesting, how long before you launch this to the website???

Quick Reply: Advice Required!! Which MAF System is best Bang 4 Buck!!