Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Advice Required!! Which MAF System is best Bang 4 Buck!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the laptop issue, you only use it to tune the car with the current boost level that you're running. Once you have achieved a good A/F ratio(need a good WBO2 unit too or dyno time) the computer goes back in the bag. With the number of fuel start up maps out there for Lindsey or John's maps at Vitesse, it's really quite painless.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:31 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bret,
I have put my name down for a Zietronix WBO2 with in car Display so O2 should be taken car of there. I have just been offered a Autothority APE MAF kit without the chipset for reasonable money. I am tempted to buy this and let Danno at Guru burn me a decent chipset as everybody seems to worship his work. He can also factor in the T61 HIFI at the same time!!!!! Time to get some power!!
Old 07-29-2004, 01:07 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Please do a search on vendors, their products, and rennlist member results before you spend your hard earned money. Consider support, who is everyone looking for and who is not responding in a timely manner, and who responds the fastest. Personally, I am extremely happy with Lindsey Racing. Dave is always helpful. Secondly, when I think Fast951 he reponds ( I wish that I purchased his MAF initially). MySwiss is on the ball too (IMHO)
Old 07-29-2004, 03:06 PM
PORSCHEMANIA
Advanced

Question

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
First of all, get rid of the chips. The reason is that those chips are tuned for your stock car. By moddifying anything, you would just HATE everything. Get some customs chips from Gururacing, tell them what you have in the car and what boost levels you desire. They would burn a set of chips for you (around $399 or so).

Secondly, if you would install a MAF or a MAP system, you NEED to fine tune it. Systems such as the Link, Power Perfect, MAFTERBURNER etc all require custom mapping for fuel, A/F Ratio, boost, etc.

I myself would LOVE a MAP system, but i am not into the electronic world and would have a hard time installing one, even a harder time tuning my car (i have no idea on timing, fuel, duty cycle etc).

Go for a MAP, system, if you are planning on running between 15psi~17psi. Keep your stock injectors, they would be fine. Anything more would need 55lbs+ injectors (depends on your boost and your modds).

Drop Danno a PM or e-mail (www.gururacing.net). He has GREAT stuff and information that you would find handy. Same goes for Dave at Lindsey Racing.
My MAF kit(Huntley Racing stage 4) bring some chips, if I have any modificatios, I have to change that chips??? Or the chips of the Maf are O.K????
Old 07-29-2004, 03:32 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind with the digital setup from SFR, Lindsey, and Vitesse, there wouldn't be a need for new chips, so that would be saving you the extra $300 there. Also you don't have to have a laptop. The Lindsey unit that I have allows you to unplug it so you can take it to your home pc and program it from there. It's also nice because with any future mods you don't have to dump more money into custom chips.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:43 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PORSCHEMANIA: That is what i am asking, APE's MAF does not come with a controller, just the chips and the items needed for the AFM conversion. No tuning? what if there are future upgrades? how would you tune it?

I sent them an e-mail a week ago regarding this, no reply, does anyone know how the APE or Huntley MAF works?

I BELIEVE that the Huntley kit does come with a controler (ARC2).
Old 07-29-2004, 03:53 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Huntley does, but APE does not. They control theirs by the custom chips that comes with the kits. APE wants you to get new custom chips every time you make a change. That were making money at for the first couple of years until everyone caught on and started adapting fuel controlers to work with our cars.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:59 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Sh#T and their kits are one of the most expensive ($1599) compared to others
Old 07-29-2004, 04:12 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't imagine they sell to many of them any more. I could be wrong, but I think the 951 crowd is mostly on board with the new technology available now. Probably mostly due to Rennlist. I know thats were I've learned everything about the various tunners.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:30 PM
poormans9fitty1
Banned

hosrom...more expensive never means better!
Old 07-29-2004, 08:45 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

I Know
Old 07-29-2004, 11:15 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

I think the APE is the best Maf; it's the only true plug and play unit. Yes it's the most expensive because it's the only one that works like the concept of a true Mass Air Flow Sensor should. Unless you make very major changes to your engine where it exceeds the flow parameters and/or the electrical parameters of the unit, you never have to tune. This is because it truely senses the mass air flow; that gets divided by RPM and there you got your injector duty cycle
So, it doesn't matter when you make changes and flowing different amounts at different RPMs; it just senses anything you throw at it. It's up to you to know that, so you don't get sucked into getting new chips everytime (I must admit I don't like the way they do business).
You do need to change chips if you want to adjust timing or changing injector size.

If anybody has any additional info on this I (we'd) be glad to hear it, especially from a technical point of view.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:35 PM
z3bra
Racer

I know some of you are worried about the lack of a laptop for programming but realistically you can get a more than adequate laptop used on Ebay for $200-300 dollars sometimes even less. It doesn't have to be anything extremely expensive just something with a good old fashioned serial port and preferrably a USB port as well. This sort of laptop tends to put it in the 600MHz range for CPU speed and will typically come with a 1024x768 display, 6-10GB HD and 256MB of ram. Something like a Dell Inspiron 5000 or 5000e is ideal, plentiful, and relatively inexpensive. Don't let the lack of a laptop stop you. As cheap as they are you could set it up to leave it in the car all the time by sliding it under the passenger seat if it's not a powered seat.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:02 AM
TurboTim
Banned

[QUOTE=TurboTommy]I think the APE is the best Maf; it's the only true plug and play unit. Yes it's the most expensive because it's the only one that works like the concept of a true Mass Air Flow Sensor should. Unless you make very major changes to your engine where it exceeds the flow parameters and/or the electrical parameters of the unit, you never have to tune. This is because it truely senses the mass air flow; that gets divided by RPM and there you got your injector duty cycle
So, it doesn't matter when you make changes and flowing different amounts at different RPMs; it just senses anything you throw at it.

It uses a Ford style MAF sensor like every other kit on the market so how is it better? Its not, it is just more expensive. Its lack of adjustment leaves alot to be desired and frankly there are much better alternatives on the market.

As far as duty cycle goes.......This is dictated by the maximum voltage of the mass-air sensor which is directly related to the size of injector being used.The most important aspect of a mass-flow system is when does the sensor top out its voltage signal? When this happens, your injectors reach 100% duty cycle.Put a larger injector in and your voltage signal drops which means you get more range out of your sensor and thus a lower duty cycle.This is why a 3.5" sensor can easily make over 400 horsepwer at the wheels.This is one of the reasons why those big knarly 4" sensors(like Huntley used ) have been abandoned by tuners.They are not neccessary.If you run out of range on your sensor, you insta a larger injector.Its that simple.Ofcourse there is the limitation of how much air can physically pass through the sensor but that is not a concern of ours since none of use will ever see this with the power we make out of these cars.Take care.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:20 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

With the mods you are doing, you may want to look at standalone management, Link does a very good inexpensive MAP based computer specifically designed for the 944 turbo. Call Guru for the computer or Performance Developement, they even make a "bolt on" engine harness! The features will leave you playing and datalogging for hours! I tend to think MAP is the next step past MAF... others will likely disagree, but almost all aftermarket computers I have heard of use MAP.

Quick Reply: Advice Required!! Which MAF System is best Bang 4 Buck!!