Rear Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 01:08 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Hatch

I know that there is a big long seal for the rear hatch that sits on the body.

I just noticed this

The circle on 38A, that is a seal that fits between the glass and the spoiler? If yes, i do not have it. I press down on the rear rubber spoiler, and i just see glass.

If not, then where does that go? my rear hatch seal (on the body) is new but i see some small spaces between the hatch and metal body when the hatch is closed.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:43 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You should have a seal that is clamped in between the glass and the rubber spoiler. This seal has a ~1/2" lip that extends out and down to touch the body of the car when the hatch is closed. Was your rubber spoiler removed at any time? It might have been when you lost it. it shouldn't have fallen off. I think the screws that attach the rubber wing actually go through the seal in a couple of plaes at least.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:49 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Hmmm..........is that the same seal that fills up the space between the spoiler and the body from the rear? (i mean if you look at the space from the rear of the car, that seal should be filling the space between the spiler and the body?)

I also noticed today at 80mph or so, the rear spoiler was shaking (just a little bit).

Bu pushing down on the spoiler, would you expose that seal? because i just see glass over there when i do that.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:55 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Hmmm..........is that the same seal that fills up the space between the spoiler and the body from the rear? (i mean if you look at the space from the rear of the car, that seal should be filling the space between the spiler and the body?)

I also noticed today at 80mph or so, the rear spoiler was shaking (just a little bit).

Bu pushing down on the spoiler, would you expose that seal? because i just see glass over there when i do that.

Well. There are actually 2 seals that seal the rear of the hatch. One of them is the rubber tube seal that is attached to the body of the car, and the other is the rubber lip that I described that's attachedd to the hatch. I never see glass from below when my hatch is closed.

If the rear spoiler is shaking, double check that all of the screws that hold it in place are tight and have not fallen out.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:12 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Yes, now i know what you mean when you said that that 38A is the 1/2" lip that covers the rear gap.

But i also noticed that there is no lip seal on both sides of the hatch from the spoiler, is that normal?

I will check the screws, maybe that is what is causing smells in the cabin on hard accelerations (while window is up or down).
Old 07-24-2004, 03:13 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

I forgot to metion, that rear lip seal that covers the gap, i can literally push it into the gap itsel, that is not supposed to happen right?
Old 07-24-2004, 03:18 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Neither of my 944s (early and late) have lip seals on the sides of the hatch. I think my rear lip seal can be pushed into the gap a little, but you might want to tighten up your hatch pins (#17) if you are getting exhaust smells in the cabin. If this doesn't help, it might be time for a new #38 rubber seal.

Trending Topics

Old 07-24-2004, 03:29 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

The 38 rubber seal is 6 months old.

I just adjusted the rear pins the other night, the driver's side pin just doesnt want to catch on properly (some minor cliocks when shaking the hatch left and right, no matter how many times i adjust them).

I shall also take a look at ALL the screws and a closer look at the lip seal. Will keep you inforned.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:31 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Wait a minute, number 38, that seal goes on the body or on the hatch? coz what i see, from the image, it goes on the hatch, not on the body due to its shaped accoreding to the hatch.

The seal on the body just stops at both ends right? doesn't go all the way around like the image displays.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:08 AM
87uk944t
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also have issues with my rear hatch, when i shut it, it seems fine but as soon as i start driving the drivers side pops open and you can then open the whole hatch just by giving it a little tug, i have tried adjusting the pins as well but nothing seems to make any difference, i even removed the catches and gave them a really good clean but still no difference, i get excessive noise and smell from exhaust in the cabin also
Old 07-24-2004, 11:37 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

I looked at the lip seal (38A) and it is disintegrating. Maybe that is what is causing the rear pins not to fully close? maybe their housings?
Old 07-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

I had aproblem with my hath not catching sometimes. It turns out that the problem was that the catch mechanism was not "resting" in the closed position, but rather it was resting in a partially open position. You might have someone push the hatch release button while watching the catch mechanism to see how yours are behaving. I simply purchased another hatch release motor to fix it.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:26 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Ok, now i got BOTH pins catching well. I made them a bit longer, and found out that it was getting worse. So i slowly and patiently did half turns on the pins. Eventually, now the hatch closes and when i try to move the hatch left/right and up/down, i do NOT hear anything, so i guess i got them right.

Now, when i press on the driver's side spoiler, i hear a squeek. Looking closely, it is coming from that lip seal underneath the spoiler, and it is bulky from that side (maybe that's why i get fumes inside the cabin). So, it looks like i need a new lip seal (38A on above diagram).

But when trying to remove the 3 screws holding the spoiler, one screw came off, the other two were stuck. Anyway i can 'wake up' these screws without having their heads chewed off from my screwdriver?
Old 07-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

You can try some PB Blaster. That might free up the screws, but it's difficult to penetrate deep enough to get to the threads. Try getting a phillips screwdriver that fits the screw heads very well. Otherwise, you will strip the heads. The only problem I could forsee is if the screws are fused onto the nuts imbedded in the rubber spoiler, the nuts could strip out of the rubber casting.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:35 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Damn!

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch