Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replace wastegate studs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 03:17 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Replace wastegate studs?

I'm in the middle of installing my new Guru wastegate, which uses the factory wastegate body. My old one has four studs in it, which are (not surprisingly) breaking off with removal. The new one has no studs, just the threaded holes where the studs would go. It did not come with bolts. What do I need to get here as a replacement for the new wastegate? 8.8 bolts? stainless?

Please help! I need to get this done today and the stores close in a couple of hours!
Old 07-17-2004, 07:17 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had those break off as well. I would just use regular bolts w anti seize temporarily, order some nice high temp bolts, and replace them later on.

Regular hardware does fine in the exhaust for a short time. They are 8mm x 1.25 bolts you need.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:07 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark! How are you doing? I actually almost put the testpipe that you sold me in with the wastegate, but one of the nuts on the studs on the downpipe felt like it didn't want to let go, so I chickened out lest I break the stud.

I ended up using 8.8 grade bolts that look just like the originals on the outlet pipe from the wastegate, and similar bolts on the connector to the downpipe. Are these not actually the same as the originals? What will happen after "a short time" to these?

I'm not too psyched about trying to remove them, lest one of them breaks. Three of the four original bolts on the outlet pipe broke on removal and all of the studs broke. I used antiseize on the new hardware, but I wouldn't bet that all 8 will come out again. Perhaps I'm paranoid.

Quick Reply: Replace wastegate studs?