Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Danno Help!! Too much Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004 | 11:11 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Default Danno Help!! Too much Fuel

Hey Danno I have a question for you, I put in your 15psi chips and seem to run REALLY rich when on boost. My boost is at 15psi, I have a aftermarket guage, so what do I do? I would like to adjust it down some without increasing the boost, so where does that leave me? I know you offered me the 18psi chips, say if you get me a set, would it be able to get the right air/fuel then or would I still have to tune? Please let me know ASAP!! I know I have well over 20 rwhp missing because of the HIGH fuel going in. Thanks.

Mike
Old 07-11-2004 | 12:34 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

How do you know your running rich? black smoke under heavy driving or do you have an a/f ratio gauge?
Old 07-11-2004 | 02:29 AM
kevin Dubois
Racer

a/f guages are useless anyway. even if you do have one. i have an autometer A/F guage, and the only time i can tell how the car is running is under full throttle, and even then, 2/3s of the LEDs are lit up (and thus the reason it is useless). Sense then i have installed the wideband and i get much better values as far as A/F is concerned. so i agree with hosrom, how do you know you are running to much fuel?
Old 07-11-2004 | 03:12 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Unless if you installed an analog a/f ratio gauge, which shows you (in numbers) the ratio. This is a cheap alternative to the wide band, but not as accurate? LINK has one, should be good.
Old 07-11-2004 | 03:35 AM
Danno
Race Director

How do you know you're rich? In the upper-RPMs, the GURU chips will give you 10-15% more fuel than just about all other aftermarket chips. But you also get less in the low-end as well.

With the LED gauges, you only really know the exact air-fuel ratio when it changes from one LED to the next. That borderline transition will pinpoint the AFR at that moment. But when the mixture goes from 11.0:1 (too rich) to 13.0:1 (too lean), it still falls within the width of a single LED. So if it flickers between the 3rd and 4th to the last LED, you know you've got a 13.0:1 mixture and if it flickers between the 3rd and 2nd to last LED, you know you've got a 11.0:1 mixture. But if the 3rd to last LED is fully lit, you have no idea if you're rich or lean or somewhere in between.

Quick Reply: Danno Help!! Too much Fuel