Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How to extract a stripped screw?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 09:04 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to extract a stripped screw?

I stripped one of the brass screws holding the fog light assembly. I bought a screw extractor set:

I think I must first drill a small in the middle of the screw. Then I should tap one of these extractors with a hammer into that hole. Finally, I should turn CCW to extract the screw.
Or can I just screw the extractor directly into the center of the screw without first drilling a small hole?

Please help!!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 09:27 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

we just used the getto way. Attach two nuts' on to the bolt using two wrenches turn them against on another once they reach the bottom. Make sure they are really tight against one another.....then we used a impact.....covered over the nuts...and it unscrewed the bolt.

We had one stuck in the head(it was a pita)
Old 07-05-2004, 10:14 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I can't tell from your picture but is the smallest extractor small enough for your fog light screw?

But yes, you drill a hole in the broken screw and stick the extractor in it and turn counter clockwise and pray it backs out. Don't smack the extractor with a hammer to set it in the hole. You don't want to break the extractor off in the screw as it is made out of hard tool steel and will take quite the drill bit to drill it out.

You should also be aware that this operation results in the extractor breaking off in the hole far, far too often. I won't use them anymore. But on a soft brass screw the risk isn't as high, provided you have a small enough extractor.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:26 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

IceShark,

I sent you an email.

I finished installing the Battery kit and headlight kit. I sent some sample pictures with the email.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:47 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Andre, I'll drop you a note later tonight or tomorrow on your project.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to drill a hole first, but I doubt those will work, don't open the package so you can take them back. If the broken screw is less than 1/4 inch you'll never be able to drill a centered hole accurately, and those extractors look way too big anyway. It says the sizes are on the back of the card, what's the smallest?
Old 07-11-2004, 05:17 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Search for a recently updated thread on this that I contributed to. There is no need to use an extractor on that screw, as you can just literally drill it out and replace it with a self tapping screw. Those fog light screws are a real pain! In the likely event that you break off one of those extractors in the screw, your life will get much harder.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the screw are reall too small to use an extractor. Use a drll bit that's just under the thread-size and drill out the entire screw. Then re-tap the hole to remove the remaining pieces. If you end up making the hole to big, just tap it for the next size up.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:42 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

I finally ended up drilling the screw out and then I rethreaded the hole. I was able to use same sized screw which I liberally covered with anti-seize!
Old 07-12-2004, 04:21 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you attempt to drill, be very careful. I broke off a drill bit inside a stripped screw in the head. After 6.5 hours of labor....a shop was able to get it out without making me buy a new head.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:09 AM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn screws.
My timing belt went out on my jetta and to remove it and the plastic housing I need to remove a pulley. Well it's held on by allen bolts and one is totally stripped.
So today we just went and got some jb weld and cold welded the allen wrench in the bolt.
Hopefully it is strong enough to unscrew the bolt.
I'll find out here soon enough.

Quick Reply: How to extract a stripped screw?