Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Please help me 944 stereo gurus....

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me 944 stereo gurus....

I'll try to keep this short....

I HAD an 89 Integra- 4 Bose 6.5" coax speakers & a clarion Pro Audio CD- NO amp, NO Subs, etc- great bass for such a simple system- could FEEL it in the seats, etc- the SQ was fine.....

The 951 is a VERY similar chassis to the 1st Gen integra- I can;t get bass to save my FU**ING life!!! I now have 6.5" Kappa coaxes in rear & Infinity 6800CS 6x8 components up front in Turbo S locations (UNDERNEATH the armrests behind the pockets....)- I have a Kenwood 7017 CD & am running the speakers from a 4-ch ADS PQ10 amp- the system has decent SQ, but, not as much bass as the integra- actually, the 5.25 speakers from the sh**y PARTIAL M490 option that Porsche put in SOME cars (for whatever stupid-*** reason) gave more bass. Anyway, I want as much bass as possible w/OUT subs....

Right now, I have a hole in the back of the panel to allow air to flow into the door to TRY to help get more bass for the big 6x8's- to form an enclosure- STILL doesn't work... might go BACK to 5.25's b/c no 6.5's will fit- might even go to the FRONT of the doors like early 951's, etc- this is better for imaging ANYWAY, but.... what to do???

WHAT should I DO? ANYONE here have decent bass from these cars? I've heard LOT'S of negative things about the imaging, etc of these cars- NEVER heard they were capable of decent bass really, not w/out subs, but, find it hard to believe... if other hatches can, why not the 944?

Other prob- what is the STANDARD way to set up channels? I mean, is the front LEFT channel # 1? What would be #2, then #3, then #4? There HAS to be a regular way- the ADS amp allows bridging of #1 & #2 & ALSO bridging of #3 & #4- right now, my LF is #1, RF is #2, LR is #3, RR is #4- if I fade ALL the way rear, & balance side to side, it works perfectly. BUT, IF I fade to front, I balance all the way right & LOSE ALL sound- balance all the way left & HAVE Sound from BOTH fronts.... what's going on? Can't find what I've screwed up- is it a channel thing????

Any info here would be GREATLY appreciated....

LAST- my stereo is draining my battery- it's fuse #39- I have the remote wire hooked up to the right wire- COULD my amp (power is directly to the battery) be keeping some power going through the stereo? I thought it would be the other way around??? any info?

Thanks for ANYTHING anyone can help with....

FRUSTRATED AS HELL....
Robby

X-posting b/c many Turbo S owners know the M490 speaker system & it's pitfalls, better than NA owners, etc.... hoping for something better than I've got for God's sakes....
Old 07-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Robby
It's kinda hard to follow ya ...
My set up was Boston Acoustics up front (two in the lower door
one in the stock tweeter mount ) powered by a Nac PA 200
Then in the rear I made the Cut out just a tad bigger and installed
a pair of ADS S7's powered (by an amp probably older than you ) a
Proton 250 (50 watts RMS ) very clean. I left everything looking stock
CD changer (direct wired ) in the rt. rear luggage hole (wrapped in egg
crate foam ) I do need a bigger amp in the rear ... But the base is pretty
good .....
regards
Ed
ps If you want thumping base you are not going to get it there in that stock location
Good luck

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 07-05-2004 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:55 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eddie- where are you reffering when you say- I can't get bass at that location? I assume the FRONT? why would you not be able to get it from the rear w/6.5's? The integra & other hatches have far less enclosure room & get plenty of bass w/stock speakers- I'm thinking of ordering alll new STOCK Turbo S M490 speakers & rippig out the ADS amp- the stock speakers w/OUT amp definately had more bass before, although barely, but,again, I had the sh**y M490 set-up- those speakers ARE more efficient, etc, though- I just don't want to get back into the damn rear again... really tired of messing w/it altogether- hate to sell a car over a stereo, but, in this case, it's becoming the icing on the cake- been messing w/it too long... not to mention the suspension, brakes, steering wheel, shift ****, etc, etc, etc... problem now- I'm stuck- almost $30k deep & ~$15K to go- COULD be a fairly cool car- none any closer than Atlanta to check out & emulate in any way, though...

anyway, the other question- can you FEEL the bass at ALL when the volume is up high w/your set-up? what SIZE speakers are you running? you didn't say.... why THREE speakers for front channels instead of two (per side)? Only seen that in the Turbo S originally- always thought it was unneccessary, but, at least it worked ok- the 5.25 Porsche speaker w/OUT the 3.25 & X-over is about wortheless....debated the REASON w/several people, but, that's irrelevant....

thanks

also- what's not clear about my original post? I'll clarify however- not trying to be an ***, but completely sincere....
Old 07-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Robby
Anything stock in that car $ucked !! I pull out the whole
10 speaker stereo sys.... Transistor radios have better speakers ....
It had been 15 years since I ripped apart the car and put the new system
in I thought the lower door panel had 2 speakers in it ? I used the Boston Acoustics with a Nac active crossover. The rears are ADS S7's (what I was trying to tell you is that in the stock rear location, you will only get a good base response not great ( like those stupid f#$%'s that drive by my house an shake the whole neighborhood.) Placing dynamatt inside the rear well might help
I'll tell you the best thing you could do ... First throw away those speakers and buy some good ones then take the plastic piece of **** panel that holds the speakers in and fill the reverse side with Bondo This will allow the panel not to rattle when the base is turned up and give it a deeper sound.

Eddie- where are you referring when you say- I can't get bass at that location?
I WAS REFERRING TO THE REARS

I assume the FRONT?
why would you not be able to get it from the rear w/6.5's?
i DID ONE BETTER. I PUT IN ADS S7 SEVEN INCH ROUNDS

The integra & other hatches have far less enclosure room & get plenty of bass w/stock speakers- I'm thinking of ordering alll new STOCK Turbo S M490 speakers & rippig out the ADS amp-
I HAVE NEVER HEARD IF A STOCK HEAD UNIT BEING BETTER THAT AN AFTERMKT AMP
IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR AMP BUY A NEW ONE. IF THESE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR SPEAKERS REPLACE THEM
IF YOU REPACE WHAT YOU HAVE AND WERE TO REPALCE WITH WHAT I HAVE ... YOUR SOCKS WOULD ROLL UP AND DOWN .. TRUST ME

the stock speakers w/OUT amp definately had more bass before, although barely, but,again, I had the sh**y M490 set-up- those speakers ARE more efficient, etc, though-
THOSE SPEAKERS ARE **** TRUST ME .. THEY ARE MORE EFFICENT ONLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO BE TO BE DRIVEN BUT A HARD UNIT AMP THE PUT OUT 5-10 WATTS OF TOTALLY DISTORTED POWER ....

I just don't want to get back into the damn rear again... really tired of messing w/it altogether- hate to sell a car over a stereo, but, in this case, it's becoming the icing on the cake- been messing w/it too long... not to mention the suspension, brakes, steering wheel, shift ****, etc, etc, etc... problem now- I'm stuck- almost $30k deep & ~$15K to go- COULD be a fairly cool car- none any closer than Atlanta to check out & emulate in any way, though...

anyway, the other question- can you FEEL the bass at ALL when the volume is up high w/your set-up?
I HAVE BOSTON ACOUSTICS IN THE FRONT (WHAT EVER FITS IN THE TURBO S LOCATIONS IN THE DOORS IN THE FRONT
AND THE ADS S7'S ION THE REAR ( THAT'S 7 INCHES )

what SIZE speakers are you running? you didn't say.... why THREE speakers for front channels instead of two (per side)? Only seen that in the Turbo S originally- always thought it was unnecessary,
THATS WHAT I HAVE ... IF YOU HEARD IT YOU WOULDN'T SAY THAT ! TRUST ME

but, at least it worked ok- the 5.25 Porsche speaker w/OUT the 3.25 & X-over is about wortheless....debated the REASON w/several people, but, that's irrelevant....

thanks

also- what's not clear about my original post? I'll clarify however- not trying to be an ***, but completely sincere....
I WAS REFERRING TO YOU COVERING A # OF TOPICS ....
NO OFFENSE TAKEN ...
ROBBY WHY DON'T YOU GIVE ME A CALL ITS A LOT EASIER THAN GOING BACK AND FORTH
I SENT YOU A PM...
regards
Ed
Old 07-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eddie- thanks a LOT man- I'll call soon....

Last edited by Robby; 07-06-2004 at 03:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Please help me 944 stereo gurus....