Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Repairing impact damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repairing impact damage - UPDATE: work in progress.

I started a new thread because it's sufficiently off-topic from the last one. That and I've calmed down just a little since last night.

Alright, ~25-30mph impact on front driver corner. Front bumper support jammed backwards into the frame causing mild buckling.

http://64.135.14.163/images/view_pho...ER&id=IMG_1138

http://64.135.14.163/images/view_pho...rk&id=IMG_0716

Originally posted by billgot
Well, Why do you need that fixed.You can always support the intercooler another way.Do you work on cars? Just start tinkering take off the fenders look at problem area's see what can be done for now at low cost.If you don't fear taking the car apart you could bang some stuff back in place or support thing with homemade brackets, your car looks Drivable if you like it don't be quick to condem it you will be surprised what you can do on these cars with out a mechanic.
Skip the intercooler mount, that didn't seem to be effected. I'm talking about where the frame is slightly crushed from the impact. Note the flecking paint on the frame, and then compare left to right. I'll try to get the front clip off today and get better pictures.

Bottom line, can I fix / correct this damage?

Last edited by Dark Lightning; 11-05-2004 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Update to damage.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Swedeboy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a pretty easy repair - try getting a quote from a bodyshop or (ideally) an independent Porsche shop if you can't do it yourself. If you're in luck you might find boardmembers with spare bodywork already in the correct color.

The car sounds like a keeper to me - don't dump it because you've had a bit of bad luck.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:07 PM
poormans9fitty1
Banned

OK...I just went through this entire process. I crushed the front of my car in a field about 7 months ago. I thought just as you that it was over. Mine was much worse than yours. I was going about 45 when i went off a 5 ft drop and hit a hill. I bent the right frame rail and tore the front and all the underbody pieces right off. I damaged a lot of mechanicals as well. That being said, i have done too much research for this. Alright, the one thing i would be worried about would be the gap in between yoour hood and fender. That doesnt look too good. If you can figure out what caused that, that would be great. Second, does it drive straight. It should because the frame piece that got bent or pushed in has no effect on the driving of the car because it is in front of the wheels. You could just pound it back as much as possible and get the bumper straight enough to fit the front end correctly. Is your front end cracked or damaged? If it isnt too bad, check out some companies that repair them. Then look into a fender. Your problem is very minor. I spent under 4k with cuting in a new piece of frame, replacing radiator, all hoses, ps under bracket, ps pump, oil cooler and lines, timing belt, water pump, all the front seals, fans, ps lines, and the list goes on forever. I also replaced the front end and fogs.But i did all this myself except for the frame piece. And you dont have that problem. Now you could look into new stuff or used. That could save you a lot. And since you have no mechanical damage, you could drive it till you fix it. Just watch out for rusting. Do it yourself. It really isnt that hard. Just coming up with the money for it. So good luck and if you need any help just pm me.
-Derek
Old 07-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

this stuff is on ebay all the time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

just asked the seller to sawsall the part you need and put it in a box
Old 07-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by poormans9fitty1
I was going about 45 when i went off a 5 ft drop and hit a hill.
Was this a police chase, or what?
Old 07-04-2004, 01:17 PM
poormans9fitty1
Banned

no, my brake amplifier failed.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Fresh batch of pictures minus front clip: CLICK HERE

Ones of note:
A. Bumper mount.
B. Crushed bodywork beneath driver headlamp.
C. Seperated seam.
D. But for the most part everything is straight.

I think the driver-quarterpanel-&-hood distance (in this picture) was due to the quarterpanel warping outwards plus a little bending of the lower fenderwell.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Dark Lightning; 11-05-2004 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:12 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

John,
Your picture links don't work.

Regards,
John
Old 07-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Yeah, I need to kick the server. My apologies.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had similar damage to my car. It's almost completed, but yes, you can do this yourself if the frame isn't tweaked. I crushed the ds fender, tore the bumper cover, crushed the ds headlight, and tweaked the header panel. Also bent the wheels on the driver side.

You might also want to look at your wheels to make sure they are still straight.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Well, I had a certified frame shop check it out and they quoted me around $2000 minus parts since I told them I could find them online.

The big ticket items are:
Code:
Absorber, Front Lt   - R&I Assembly -  1.7 hours @ $46/hour
Extn, Header Panel   - R&I Assembly - 14.0 hours @ $46/hour
Supt, Hood Lock Vert - R&I Assembly -  6.7 hours @ $46/hour

Set-up & Measure     -              -  1.5 hours @ $54/hour
Structural Pull Time -              -  8.0 hours @ $54/hour
Plus paint and yada yada. Catch is I think some of these numbers are pretty exagerated. I'm going to try to do as much of the labor as possible for them but I don't know how good I'd do at drilling out spot-welds. I consider myself a pretty decent mechanic but I hate screwing up on stuff that's permanent.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Originally posted by Tom Carson
this stuff is on ebay all the time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

just asked the seller to sawsall the part you need and put it in a box
I know the bumper, bumper skin, header panel, and quarter panels are different between a 944 and a 951, but are 944 and 951 front clips the same in terms of inner structure?
Old 07-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think so because of the intercooler mounts. Drilling out spot welds isn't hard, there are special bits just for that purpose at any place that sells body working supplies. Keep at it, you can do the work and save big $$.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:58 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

I just went thru the same thing, althou i think mine is/was a lil worse. I bent the passenger side frame rail in and crushed the oil filter. I ended up replacing the header panel, front mask, driver side fender and paint. It was all professinally done because if i would of done it , it still wouldn't be done.

By looking at those figures, i don't really want to know what my total bill is going to be.. oh welll at least i'll have my baby back
Old 11-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

****** UPDATE ******

So the car is now in the body shop. Just came off the frame rack today and they were able to easily pull everything straight without replacing the radiator support. The hood was ruled to be ok but the driver fender, front bumper skin, and the driver headlamp housing & cover are all being replaced with factory new parts. The header panel is also being replaced but I'm pretty well set on using an AIR vented nose.

The entire front end has been sanded down as well as the driver door in preperation for paint blending. I'll have my baby back in the near future.

I'll have current pictures on Monday.

Quick Reply: Repairing impact damage