Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Link 2 launch control

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 01:05 AM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Link 2 launch control

I has some time on my hands to I hooked up a microswitch to the clutch that closes when the clutch is pressed. Set up the link to arm the launch and flat shift.

When the system is armed, you can hold the clutch in and press WOT, the car will rev up to a pre-set RPM and retard timing by a user definable amount. I used 3,000 rpm and 25 degrees. You sit there with the car sounding wicked, the retarded timing spinning the turbo and heating the crap of the exhaust system. Reminds me of a rally car. When the clutch is released the engine takes off at a user definable rate of rise per second (like 3,000/sec or so). This can be set up to limit peel outs. Not a real closed loop traction but better than totally peeling out.

For flat shifting, once under way the theory is when you press the clutch the engine will limit the RPMs even though the throttle it WOT allowing WOT shifting without sitting on the rev limiter.

The short time I tried is I almost fried my clutch messing with the flat shift. I think the problem is the point that the switch closes need to be moved closer to the biting point of the clutch and not down on the floor, otherwise the engine spins up too fast before the clutch engages. The result is an engine spinning aroung 5000 rpm during clutch engagement. Also the speed of clutch engagement is critical as if its too slow the engine has no way of knowing and the clutch is engaged on while the motor is screaming, lots of bad clutch smell.....

With some tweeking the system could be made to work and provide some advantages for serious competition type driving but for me I guess I am more comfortable with a well controlled launch that does not beat the crap out of the car.
Anyone else tried / experimented with the Launch function on the Link 2?? How about the Antilag function..... now thats one I will probably leave alone.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:11 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How did you mount the switch? What kind of switch? I bought an old Ford brake light switch but have not got around to fitting it, seems like too big a job getting down there. I would be keen on hearing how you did it with what parts! I need this feature for my drag fetish.

Quick Reply: Link 2 launch control