Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Alumaloy, Castaloy, Steelaloy, Is the rear bumper Cast Iron or Steel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 12:56 AM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alumaloy, Castaloy, Steelaloy, Is the rear bumper Cast Iron or Steel?

I'm trying to fix the holes in my bumper that were drilled to mount the license bracket cause the po got the rear lens update kit. Is this made out of Cast Iron or Steel? Also, anyone try this alumaloy, steelaloy, castaloy stuff? saw a comercial on it and it looked pretty good. i was gonna try and diy on the holes.

http://www.alumaloy.net/
Old 07-02-2004, 01:45 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

The rear bumper center section is aluminum.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:14 AM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You're going to need an awful lot of heat to make the alumaloy work on a 944 bumper. More than you can make, since the heat sink capability of aluminum will pull heat away from the spot faster than you can heat it up.

If you want a nice bumper, get one that has not been drilled, or cover it with a bumper sticker.

gb
Old 07-02-2004, 12:34 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George is probably right. It is a heavy aluminum extrusion and will suck off heat like crazy. It can get hard with propane to heat up big copper electrical terminals on heavy gauge wire to solder, which is the heat range of this alumaloy stuff. While copper is a better heat conductor than AL, I don't think you can get the bumper hot enough with a propane torch.

I'd just take it to a local welding shop and have them fill the holes up. I did the bumper pad delete option which left 6 big oblong holes and 4 countersunk boltheads. $50 to fill them all up. Only regret is the guy used a 40 grit wheel to take off the excess. Took me forever to sand out those marks by hand. So tell your guy to use 100 or 150 grit.

Here is what it turned out like:

assend_copy1.jpg

Well, I'm not too computer skilled so I can't drop the picture in. If you really want to see it then tell me how to do it.

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/memberupload.php

Last edited by IceShark; 07-02-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Alumaloy, Castaloy, Steelaloy, Is the rear bumper Cast Iron or Steel?