Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Brake squeal - do anti-squeal inserts help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 12:07 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a new complete set of Porsche anti squeal brake shims/brake vibration dampeners from a Porsche dealer for my 1989 944 Turbo.

The part numbers are as follows:

4pc @ 928 352 096 10
4pc @ 928 352 096 11
The above parts look exactly alike despite the last 2 digits. Each one is a thin metal disc, 1.75 inch diameter, with 10 metal prongs in a circular pattern on one side of the disc and an adhesive self stick surface on the other side.

4pc @ 951 351 089 04
The above parts rectangular thin metal 1.75 inch x 4.75 inch with 2 round cylindrical metal weights mounted on one side and an adhesive self stick surface on the other side.

I can email pics to anyone who is interested.

I am not putting them on my car because my mechanic advised that the heat of potential track driving would fuse the shims to the pads making them difficult to remove later - so mine are for sale...anything to make maintenance easier IMHO...but we'll see how much noise the car makes when I get it back - I am using Zimmerman solid OEM spec rotors and Pagid OEM spec pads. If anyone is interested - the above parts are for sale in the Rennlist classifieds.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts
Smile Re: Brake squeal

I'm sure that all of you are aware of the squeal problem..what happens is that when braking pressure is applied to the pads, they vibrate at a very high speed...not very much, but some. this vibration is amplified by the rotor, which produces the squeal..If you use the disc brake quiet, it is a low grade adhesive, so it glues the pad to the piston, which makes the pad one unit with the piston..so it eliminates the vibration, hence no squeal..Grease on the back of the pad does a similar function, but will wash off after a while, or will not work at all...I've had good luck with my Toyota and other street cars with the disc brake quiet..I use the tube stuff in the pkg instead of the spray..otherwise my wife makes me do the brake job over if I don't use it...sorry about the long post.. Tiger 03447

Quick Reply: Brake squeal - do anti-squeal inserts help?