Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Turbo Timing Belt/Water Pump Random Thoughts and Observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 11:28 AM
checkmate1996
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts
Default 944 Turbo Timing Belt/Water Pump Random Thoughts and Observations

Hey All! I recently starting working on my first 944 turbo. I realize I am late in the game but after watching hours of videos, reading hundreds of posts and actually doing the work, I wanted to share some of my thoughts and observations. They are in no particular order. I hope this saves time for someone else when they begin their journey of performing this job.

1. Have a good M6x1.0 Timesert kit Handy
2. There are TWO thermostats for a Turbo (mine didn't have the smaller one and took me a while to figure out there was suppose to be one!)
3. Have the right tools. Job is hard enough, don't make it harder. (e.g. Flywheel lock, offset wrench, tensioner/gear wrench)
4. Dremel with small wires brushes are your friend for cleaning water pump mating surface.
5. Have a good set of small, medium gear pullers ready to take off accessory hub/balance shaft gear and balance shaft gears that may be rusted on.
6. The balance shaft seals are DIFFERENT. Look at the little arrow on the seal to make sure they are going on the right one. Clockwise is upper balance shaft, counter clockwise is lower balance shaft.
7. Have a couple of extra PORSCHE (green) Water pump gaskets, just in case.
8. LASO says in their documentation, included with the water pump, to put on DRY with gasket. (YMMV)
9. Make sure you get the replacement water pump bolts and nuts
10. Use a paint pen to mark the outside of all the various gears and pulleys to make sure you don't put them on backwards.
11. Using the crankshaft gear, crankshaft bolt to push the new main front crank seal in works great. No other additional gadgets e.g. pvc pipe etc is needed.
12. A seal puller comes in handy.
13. Have a 6 foot cheater bar to get that crank bolt off.
14. Make sure you can twist the water pump by hand after you adjust the tensioner
15. For the "automatic" spring tensioner, there is a TSB to properly tension. https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-question.html
15. Have a good inch/lb torque wrench for the water pump bolts.
16. There is an air bleeder valve to work out air bubbles after you refill the system with coolant.

Best!

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo Timing Belt/Water Pump Random Thoughts and Observations