Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Back in the club! (finally)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 10:45 AM
danspach
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 944M3
thanks for the note and the link to your thread. Very cool story. Coming from a similar angle. I’ve wrenched on my e30 M3, 16v GTI, 996 turbo and C5 S5 but this will be my first engine pull. You yanked yours out the top, right?

I’ve seen both approaches but haven’t decided which might be best for my setup.

Do you still have her?
-----------------------------
You will find folks recommending pulling from the top and some dropping. Since that original post, I’ve pulled the engine again after spinning a bearing on track and pulled the engine on my NA for an engine reseal. All three times I used the hoist to pull from top. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a hassle any way you do it but I didn’t feel like dealing with the suspension. Maybe one day I’ll try dropping it. Whatever you do, remove the radiator and radiator fans. Remove the belts, alternator, AC compressor, basically as much as you can from the front of the engine. Will give you a lot more room to clear the driveshaft and not have to drop the transmission.

Yes, I still have it. Currently it’s up on stands to refresh all the rear bushings. A somewhat miserable job but I’m enjoying the challenge. It’s fun grabbing a beer and playing some tunes while wrenching. Waiting in the last bushing to arrive and I can start putting it back together. I’m terrified of the torsion bar re-indexing job lol

Shameless plug, I have a complete S2 engine for sale. In case you have the 3.0 turbo itch lol
----------------

Hah. The 944 is in temporary storage until I can finish the S6. It's been off the road for well, longer than expected. Once I got in there, I saw things I couldn't look past and so after tracking down some truly mundane parts from Audi Tradition, I'm reassembling. I'd admit this will be my third shot at doing timing on that engine. I can break down the BBD with the quickness now but it also means I'm committed to the V8.

You still have the Audi from whence it came?

Last edited by danspach; 07-25-2024 at 11:18 AM. Reason: cleaning up format
Old 07-25-2024, 03:23 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 105 Posts

This is gonna be my new favorite Rennlist thread, I can tell.

You are a brave man. Worth it though!

Seeing that Audi 4.2 motor gives me the utter shivers. BTDT
Old 07-26-2024, 10:02 AM
danspach
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
This is gonna be my new favorite Rennlist thread, I can tell.

You are a brave man. Worth it though!

Seeing that Audi 4.2 motor gives me the utter shivers. BTDT
The Audi has definitely given me a run for my money: 3 out of 9 water pump bolts - snapped, thermostat housing stripped, cam chain tensioner collapsed, serpentine belt tensioner sheared off. Feel like it's all been training for working on the 951! Unfortunately, the white car needs to wait for the others in line but the planning is fun for me and once it's underway I'll have more questions and will update with pics.
The following users liked this post:
Metro951 (07-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Back in the club! (finally)