engine install

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 06:13 PM
boxerwithdreams
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine install

Hey guys,

I've finally decided to post something on this forum...its been a huge help just doing my homework on here.

I shredded a rod bearing about a month ago and unfortunately, pretty much destroyed the engine and opted for another motor instead of a rebuild because of the cost. The shop, auto assets in columbus, has had it now for about a month and have been swapping parts for about two weeks and are still not ready to put it in the car....does this seem like an inordinate amount of time to any of you? I have no ride to work so i'm really on a tight schedule...just let me know what you guys think.

thanks
Old 06-22-2004, 06:39 PM
alexands
Pro

Hard to say. If they are installing a long block already assembled then 2 weeks sounds reasonable. If it's a shortblock and they have to build it up then I'd think closer to 4 is reasonable.

I have the same problem. Spun a bearing. I've removed and dissasembled the motor myself and am going to be taking it in later this week to a Porsche racing shop for machining. I'm affraid the costs will be too high to repair it so I'm going to start looking for a decent short block.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it is a long block, that seems a bit too long for me. I am a novice, and my father and I installed an engine into the 951 (longblock) and had everything hooked up in about a week, with only two days that were full labor, the rest was done in evenings. You may want to ask them what the hold up is, usually shops tend to get things done quicker if you keep popping your head in. Good luck
Old 06-23-2004, 12:39 AM
MySwiss
Pro

Re-assembeling and installing,a whole 951 engine together , from the ground up, should take , an experienced shop, less then 32 hours.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:22 PM
boxerwithdreams
5th Gear

thanks guys

i talked to the manager today and he said it will be ready to go by next tuesday or wednesday now that everything is swapped over to the new engine. It took him 60 hours to remove and swap some parts from the old motor and he estimates twenty more to put it back in...so i'd say i'm pretty broke by the time this is all over with.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like you're truly a member, now. Congrats!

-J
Old 06-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

60 hours sounds kind of steep to me. How many 944s do these guys do?
Old 06-23-2004, 07:23 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope he's charging you by book time, not however long it ends up taking him.

Regards,
John
Old 06-23-2004, 07:33 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second that! By way of comparison, a 911 rebuild is about 40 hours of labor (+ $5k in parts). Even if they fully rebuild the new longblock, this shouldn't take more than 40 hours.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:19 PM
boxerwithdreams
5th Gear

It's auto assets in columbus, oh. They specialize in porsche and bmw and came pretty highly recommended. You guys have brought up some good questions for me so i'll throw those at him when i call today. I call everyday at about the same time cause if not, i'm sure it would slip his mind...haha He's gotta be getting sick of it but oh well, he's getting his payday.

thanks again
Old 06-24-2004, 01:03 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

I had a Ferrari Testarossa long block swapped and it took the shop about 90 hours to swap the engine including taking off the heads, cleaning everything up, adjusting valve clearance (4 cams have to come off), timing belts, swapping etc. Have you ever seen a Ferrari Testarossa engine? This was Brian Jessel Ferrari in Vancouver 2 years ago. I am sure my Porsche mechanic here could do the 944 turbo in less than 30 hours inc. a head job. You are getting screwed.

Quick Reply: engine install