Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Igition coil and wires which is best brand

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 05:41 PM
944Willie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Igition coil and wires which is best brand

Now that I have a new steering rack in and I'm not creating a new EPA clean up site in my garage, my car has started to just quit a random times and for random periods of time. Usually 1-3 minutes. The last time it was dead long enough for me to discover I have no spark out of the coil. When it runs it may run for days and then die twice in the next ten minutes. It's running good at the moment again. Since it appears to be the original coil and wires I figured I woukd replace them for GP. It may be the problem it may not. I replaced the fuel relay and the DME KLR units and it didn't corect the random problem. So what is the best ingition set up now? I searched the data base and 2001 was the latest thread I found. Anybody had any later experieces? Will the larger wires and a hot ingition help anything?
Thanks all
Old 06-22-2004, 05:54 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few have gone with the MSD 6A, blaster 2 coil and then you chose ignition wires. I did the 8.5mm Magnacor wires. Also changed out cap and rotor. Everything seems to work just fine except I had all original '88 parts I replaced (only 42k miles) and I can't for the life of me tell much of any difference between 16 year old and new orther than those new red Magnecor's look nice in the engine bay.

If you want to go with the MSD stuff the place that is cheapest by far is Summit Racing. For Magnecor it is Overboost.com at $57 for the turbo wires.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:58 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I used the Magnecor 8.5mm as well. Great wires.

I'm, also, seriously considering the MSD set up as Iceshark mentioned.

I think Jeg's has them at the same price.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:47 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

I found the MSD blaster coil by itself was junky - problems galore until I went back to OE. I can't speak for things like the 6AL system.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:26 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been satisfied with magnecors and suggested them in the past, but I recently had A LOT of corrosion on the coil wire of one recently. Clearly there was something wrong w/my set up but I don't know if the wire (possible fault insulation) or the coil (possible cracked ceramic) was the cause.

I've been using 7mm wires, and don't see a need to upgrade to 8.5mm wires. Infact, I think that there is no benefit to be had from a larger wire. I just dynoed my car at a power level that's above most people's with the same mods (see appropriate thread) which supports this hypothesis.
Ahmet
Old 06-23-2004, 02:59 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the KV85 wires also with a nology coil. I will be moving to two msd coil packs soon.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:22 AM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

found the MSD blaster coil by itself was junky - problems galore until I went back to OE. I can't speak for things like the 6AL system.

what do you mean..how is it junky..our stock bosch puts out 35 000 volts..the msd hight vibration I have has 45 000 volts......I am puzzled please explain...
Darius
Old 06-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

I run Magnecor KV85's and a Jacob Electronics Omni Magnum on my 84' I have to change out cap and rotor a little more often do to the higher voltage but I noticed a crisper accelerating engine and a bit better fuel mileage. I average 25-26mpg with 185,000 on a untouched engine. The Callaway has the TEC GM coil packs and I just ordered a custom set of Magnecor R-100 race wires.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I have the Magnecor's and feel the same as IceShark

"Everything seems to work just fine except I had all original '88 parts I replaced (only 42k miles) and I can't for the life of me tell much of any difference between 16 year old and new orther than those new red Magnecor's look nice in the engine bay."

Also one other thing when I pulled out the # 4 wire the wire ripped from the boot ....You really must lub the boot, so when you pull the out that doesn't happen ...I dont think it should have happened but it did ...
regards
Ed
Old 06-23-2004, 04:17 PM
944Willie
Instructor

Thanks for all the replys. I am checking the price difference between stock and the Magnacor setup. I will end up with the matching red wire if they are close. It makes the engine compartment look so much better. Then I will need to paint the PORSHE script red there to help dress it up.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:14 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Magnecore is actually a good bit cheaper. Someone posted a link to a vendor that has the KV85s for around $50 in April. I got them (delivered promptly) and, like Iceshark and Crazy Eddie, can't actually say that I can tell a wit of difference between them and my 17 year old stock wires. That said, they are performing smartly.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:00 AM
gstreev
Racer

I picked up a fresh set of Taylor 10.3mm wires for $60 W/ wire looms,
they look awesome, but really can't tell much difference, maybe slight
edge above 4,000 RPMs, I also put in a set of Bosch Platnum +2 plugs
before it so who knows?

Quick Reply: Igition coil and wires which is best brand