Serious Coolant Leak, Semi-blown Headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts
Question Serious Coolant Leak, Semi-blown Headgasket

I recently had an overheating problem with my 86' 951. I wasn't actually there, as it was my younger brother driving the car. Suffice to say the car began to run "Too hot" as indicated by the temperature. He immediately called my cell phone and I had him tow it back to his apartment.

It goes like this. He had been ignoring a coolant hose leak which was audible once the car had heated up. The leak in my estimation continued to get worse until it was bad enough to leak without the car being on. The leak is a hose on the rear of the motor. As to which hose it is I am uncertain because I haven't compared it against the schematic.. I will most likely replace all the coolant hoses at this point while i am fixing this problem. The coolant leak seems to have cause the car to overheat the one time. I went down to gainesville yesterday and trailored it to tallahassee and finally had a chance to look at it today.

When we looked at the car we identified the horendous leak that is the hose in the rear of the engine. We didn't look hard enough to find any other leaks, but we decided that would be determined when we started dissasembling things. Addtionally, I noticed coolant coming out of the rear-most cylinder head bolt. This is presumably due to a the gasket being blow in that spot between the water jacket and the bolt. Checked the oil, and there is no comtamination. I will also be changing the oil soon so i will check there as well. At this point I will be replacing the gasket. Having heard about the wide firering gasket from my fellow PCA peeps, I am kind of stoked to set my car up for more boost in the future.

I have seen and read all about the OEM / vs. Wide firering gasket. I will probably opt for the later. I would like to eventually step up the turbo system, because I have just about outgrown the car at the DE events. I am a suncoast member and we run at sebring all the time. Aside from the gasket change, should there be anything else I should be looking at while i have everything apart. What about the bottom end on these cars. The car has 276km = 171k miles on it. What else should I be looking at with a car of this mileage with an apparent overheating-caused head gasket issue. We will be checking the head for warpage and will be checking the block to check for fit between the two when we take it off. Any suggests would be much appreciated. I would like the car to be setup now in terms of the internal motor to be ready for more boost as suggested before. Also, what about the head studs. I have read about the upgraded head studs. What is the story on these.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:26 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well lets hope that the coolant hasn't ruined your clutch.

Quick Reply: Serious Coolant Leak, Semi-blown Headgasket