Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

‘86 turbo/fuel gauge not working (not sender)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 09:01 AM
BobCT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘86 turbo/fuel gauge not working (not sender)

Hi, I just picked up an ‘86 guards red turbo. I had the identical car about 20 years ago but I didn’t do much of anything to that one. The fuel gauge doesn’t work on this one and the seller included a used sending unit. I tested that and it works fine using a multi meter. I plugged that in (original sender still in tank) and that also does not work. The light will trip but I understand that is separate from the level.

Does the sender need to be physically installed to (grounded to the body?) work? I just want to be make sure my hot connector swap is a valid test. If it is, what should I be looking for at the sender terminals? I have the factory manual but missing Group 90 which includes the fuel gauge testing (or I assume it does).

If there is any other way to isolate the gauge to narrow down my issue that would be appreciated.

thanks
Bob

Old 04-14-2024, 09:58 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 262 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...libration.html
Old 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
BobCT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I’ll try shorting @ the sending unit and see what happens. It’s buried @ E and never moves. The light does work at least in testing the other sending unit.

Quick Reply: ‘86 turbo/fuel gauge not working (not sender)