Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004 | 11:18 PM
3 Turbos

Rich Sandor Thanks Steve. That post is what rennlist is all about man.

If you are ever in Vancouver BC I owe u a beer!

Glad to help if I can - Thanks, for the beer offer.
Old 06-20-2004 | 02:05 AM
Matt H
Race Director

If you are unable to change the brake pads on a car (and it isnt an older Jaguar) then you should probably buy a much newer car, with a warranty.

3 Turbos is right on this one. By far the hardest part is jacking the car up. Unless you live somewhere they salt, then the hardest parts is removing all the F*ng rust.

To retract the pistons I use the old brake pad and some LARGE vise grips (old brake pad to assure the piston is pushed squarely in). Use a piece of cardboard or the like to not scratch the caliper.

Lastly, OPEN THE MASTER CYLINDER. You are pushing fluid back through the system and you need somewhere for that fluid to go.

Before bleeding (if you opened the system for any reason, make sure the MC is full of fluid, otherwise you will just be sucking more air in.

As to rotors, I recommend replacing them every other brake job. Not a big fan of turning rotors. For the most part the new measurement and discard are not that far apart. If they need to be turned then why not spend the extra cash and replace them. Not many more important systems than the brakes.
Old 06-20-2004 | 07:52 AM
poormans9fitty1
Banned

there is one way that makes compressing the pistons quite easy. but only do this if you deceide to replace the rotors. while the caliper is on the rotor, push a flat head screw driver in between the pad and rotor. then, carefully wedge the screw driver further in, compressing the pad into the caliper. that will also make it very easy to remove the caliper. good luck

Quick Reply: Brakes